White stringy stuff???

Post your turtle first aid questions here.

I just cleaned my tank yesterday, and today I found white stringy stuff all in the water. It looks almost like hair or chewing gum, and it is hanging off all the fake plants and floating in the water. Since I cleaned the tank, I have fed my RES apple, pellets, and cauliflower. The only thing I put in the water is a dechlorinator when I refill the tank. Could someone tell me what this is and what to do about it? Thanks for all the input,
Alisha and Rocky
deesygirl

Your RES could be shedding. When mine shed their skin that is exactly what it looks like.
sbturtlegrlz6
Level 4
Level 4

it could also be fungas take all the plants rocks etc. out of the tank and put thenm in the sink and soak them in very warm water also always clean your tank on a reg. basis.

Thanks for the replies. Just a quick question though - about the shedding...it is a whole lot of this stuff every where, so I wouldn\'t think its shedding unless my RES is sick or something. Also, I had just cleaned my tank as far as the fungus goes...is there any other ideas for the problem, and any other suggestions for cleaning besides just warm water.

Thanks again for the suggestions,
Alisha and Rocky
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

I add a little white vinegar to the water when I clean, then rinse really well.

Is the stringy stuff shedding skin?
poddys
Level 1
Level 1

One of my Maps had some skin hanging off his legs and also a large piece hanging off the top of his head last week, which eventually came off and floated around the tank. I assume this could be what you saw.
Does anyone know if shedding skin is normal for Maps/Res? Do they do this every year, or is there a deficiency in the tank setup?
Thanks in advance :)
MoMof2RedEarSliders
Level 1
Level 1

no the white stringy stuff means that they are growing just like a snake sheds its skin cause it makes new skin underneath the peeling skin so dont let it worry you it just mean that they are growing cause i asked my vet and she said it normal for any reptiles to shed it skin dont take it off thou i have 2 res and they shed skin and the filter just sucks it right in so there is nothing in my tank floating around ok :)
  • Information