wise to introduce a new friend ???

Discussions about turtles.
nchoneydew
Level 1
Level 1

Hi... our turtle is 3 years old. She has been the only turtle we have.
Recently someone in my family thought it would be cute to buy their son a turtle for a pet. I can already see that it won\'t be long and they\'ll be sick of it and not care for it. They don\'t think it will get any bigger than the quarter size it is now, living in one of those plastic things with the palm tree in the middle.

2 questions:
will it be OK to put a little turtle in with URCKEL ?? or will she be too territorial to accept a new roommate ??

also..... will a turtle die if it needs a bigger environment and one is not provided for it ???

We have always monitored URCKELS growth ... and tried to enlarge her environment accordingly. I am not sure that my family will be as concientious.... and we fear that the turtle will suffer.
deesygirl

That poor thing. Those bowls are commomly refered to as \"death bowls\", and for a good reason. With no heat or proper basking area the turtles usually suffer from MBD Metobolic Bone Disease, or soft shell. They also suffer from respitory infections due to the lack of warmth.

If you do \"inheret\" the turtle it would be wise to quarantine it for a few weeks. It may be sick and you would not want your turtle catching it.

You do not say how large of a tank that you have, or how large your turtle is. I immagine that she is probably good sized and in that case you can do one of two things. I keep various sizes together, this is done by creating hiding places for the little ones. I have arranged rocks to form little shelves and holes that my larger can not get into. Your other option is to have seperate tanks. This can be done on a budget as well. Depending on the filter that you have you can set up a second tank using the same system with splitters. It sounds confusing but is really very simple. If you want more info on how to do this you can e-mail me. Just make sure you put turtle in the subject line.

Good luck!!
nchoneydew
Level 1
Level 1

I hadn\'t thought of the quarentine...... if we inherit the turtle. Thank you so much.
Our turtle is about 5\" around.. and she lives in a 4 \' round kiddie pool with rocks to get out of the water and \"sun\" herself.
I have 2 smaller environments that she has outgrown, so finding a home for the new turtle won\'t be a problem.

Thanks !!
sbgol80
Level 2
Level 2

I started out with two baby sliders in a 20 gal. and now have a 55 gal. Then I adopted another slider...things changed. The original male started biting both turtles and now they have scars on their necks. I had to separate them. 2 in the 55 gal and one in the 20, and now all is good. I would be prepared to buy another tank just in case something like my case happens. Good luck
  • Information