My babie Turtle

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
Sparkels580
Level 1
Level 1

OK so I bought this baby turtle (peetree) in China town, i know its illeagel but it was so cold and he looked so unhappy so I have him now. he is living in a I think its a 10 gallon tank and he has 2 plastic plants and a fake log that he chills on, he loves the log. i also bought 3 fish (frank,Bob and Stu) and they all get along but I am still concerned, He has this stuff, like flaky skin on his chin, it mike just be food but i donno. So my questions are, is he sick and how offtin do I feed him and how do I tell if he is really a boy? and is there anything else i should know about keeping him safe and alive?
axepoodle
Level 2
Level 2

well, the flaky skin is probably from chlorine in the water, do you treat your water with Chlorine remover? Turtles do shed skin from time to time, it\'s not that big of a deal, I think. Also, babies need more food than adult, try to feed it once or twice a day(morning and night), and try to keep constant feeding schedule. Do you have a filter for the tank? it\'s needed, and you need special lights for the turtle. Full Spectrum lights that emitt UVB and UVA rays, and also a basking lamp. I learned alot from this website, it\'s the best turtle website I\'m found. Good luck, and have fun.

Billy

PS. my turtles ate my gold fish, all three of them, and the fish was twice the size of the turtle.
Sparkels580
Level 1
Level 1

Thank you. I feel alot better knowing that sheding is normal. The tank has a bubbler so water is moving but not filtering. I just bought a filter on ebay. The tank is by the window so i would think it is getting enought light. Thanks for replying.
  • Information