Where are water turtles supposed to sleep at night?

Discussions about turtles.
Chanchiluv

Hey, I have a painted turtle that I got for my doughter almost two weeks ago. We have everything set up real nice for \"Sarah\" (the turtle) and she seems to be doing well (has a GREAT appetite). But, I had one question: Where is the normal place for them to sleep? She seems to spend at least the beginning of the night up on her basking area. Is that normal for aquatic turtles? During the day, she sometimes sleeps under the water. Which is normal for night, or is it just on their whim? Most mornings, she is swimming around when I wake up and go in my daughter\'s room. Thanks in advance for your responses! :-) Linda
shelngav
Level 3
Level 3

My RES usually sleeps submerged. He likes to rest against his rocks. The only time he slept out of water was when he was sick. They can hold their breath for long periods of time so dont be alarmed.
TurtleSue13
Level 3
Level 3

they sleep anywhere. they can stay completely undere water for like an hour i think. but the wont drown unless the are held under. they will kno wen to come up. so u dont have to worry.
sbturtlegrlz6
Level 4
Level 4

when sleeping it dosent matter Sarah should\'nt be sleeping a lot during the day though that can be bad for her.
shelngav
Level 3
Level 3

Do you have lighting setup for her? Mine usually wakes and sleeps by the lighting when I have it on and off.

I have a water turtle (red eared-slider) and when I go to bed (not too late) we put her to bed too and she sleeps in a rectangle box with grass and a small fake half of a log and then the next day we get her out of there and put her in the water.Hope this helps ya alot.Let me know how it goes.:^)
shelngav
Level 3
Level 3

You have mentioned this box with grass in another posting too. They dont need that. They just need an area of rocks or such where they can get out of the water when they want to. I have one end of the aquarium set up with rocks for mine to crawl out on and bask during the day. At night it prefers to sleep in the water. Most turtles are this way.
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

Turtles such as RES are aquatic, and spent about 80% of the time in water. The box is unnessary. Make sure your turtle has an easily accessible basking area.

It is nessercery to have a box of grass \'cause well she likes to sleep in her land cause soon as i put her in there she starts digging and anyways I haven\'t got her a water heater or themonnter yet.
Fillmore
Level 1
Level 1

My RES spends most the time on his cork bark, I rarely see him sleeping underwater. I\'m thinking of getting a bigger tank so I can make more out of the water area cause he seems to really enjoy this.
shelngav
Level 3
Level 3

[email protected] wrote:
It is nessercery to have a box of grass \'cause well she likes to sleep in her land cause soon as i put her in there she starts digging and anyways I haven\'t got her a water heater or themonnter yet.
You asked if this was ok....so Mariza and I answered you. You do as you wish...
shai631
Level 3
Level 3

Hi Everyone!

I was reading the post on the grass set-up and I hope that you\'re getting your turtle a heating lamp and water heater soon, John. Turtles are cold-blooded, which means that the depend ALOT on their surroundings. At night it gets cold, and your turtle may get sick if it\'s not in a warm environment.
OkinawaMel
Level 1
Level 1

I think for RES it just depends on the turt. Wanda, sometimes sleeps at the bottum of the tank, or on top of a tree that floats around, and then other times she sleeps on the log half in and half out of the water. Like some one mentioned earlier, they need their water, I have never heard of putting them in grass, all night.

Cosmo, sleeps in the basking area completely buried in rocks, but then he\'s not a RES either.
MikKim

So last night I let my turtle sleep with me .... idk if that’s ok I just wanted to try it because it gets cold at night and I don’t have a heater for him and I’m the mornings his water is cold he slept under my stuffed animal and then on my chest and I just put my blanket over him not completely over him so he can breath but still be warm . He slept pretty good didn’t wake up till I did . I just want to know if that was ok , I’m not a heavy sleeper I kept waking up at night to make sure he was still alive .
sarataylr55

woow this is nice post and i love turtles/// :arrow:
msf_0000

How about the temperature? Why they say that the water and ambient tempeture should be in a specific range? In the wild, turtles experience natural fluctuation of tempreture, right?
DaveC426913
Level 1
Level 1

msf_0000 wrote:
> How about the temperature? Why they say that the water and ambient
> tempeture should be in a specific range? In the wild, turtles experience
> natural fluctuation of tempreture, right?

Because an aquarium is not a wild ecosystem. All factors have to be carefully managed or it becomes toxic fast. The larger the aquarium, the more wiggle room you have, and the more you can relax the factors.

Consider: a turtle in the wild that experiences temperatures it doesn't like can always go elsewhere - swim to warmer water or colder water. And the temps are evened out over yards and yards of water.

In a tank, you have have a few feet to deal with, and large, rapid temp changes are stressful.
Stress in a small tank makes them more susceptible to disease - since they're also in a tiny tank that is building up ammonia faster than in the wild.

Of course, if you can afford a system where you're **continually exchanging polluted water for fresh** AND you can afford a system where you have a **gradual temperature change over several hours** in the evening and in the morning - then congratulation - you are pretty much a professional Herpetologist.
DaveC426913
Level 1
Level 1

BTW, my foster turtle did not have a well set-up tank until it came into my care. It had no ability to get on any land at all, and spent several months swimming only.

I'm astonished he didn't develop some sort of shell or skin rot, but it's a testament to the fact that they can certainly go long periods of time in water only.
  • Information