Turtle \"shows\".

You can chat about non-pet topics here! Be courteous to others and keep it clean!
nchoneydew
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all. Just something interesting to share.......
My daughter subscribes to Wildlife in North Carolina magazine. She found a \"reptile beauty padgent\" being held at the Western NC Nature Center. She took our 3 yr old RES, URCKEL over and entered her in the contest. It was open to snakes, turtles and lizzards. She had to make an educational display and tell people about her pet as they came through the display area. Rhonda is very proud of her turtle and has researched quite a bit about them. She took URCKEL in her \"travel trailer\" ( under the bed storage box) and She made a great display out of poster board and construction paper, cut into shapes of turtles with turtle facts on each one and a \"letter from Urckel\" written like she had done it herself, telling when she came to live with us, etc. When people came by her table, she answered questions and showed pictures of when the turtle was smaller. She also had shell pieces that had been shed to show. At the end of the day, we were very pleased when URCKEL and Rhonda won first prize. URCLEL has a trophy and blue ribbons and Rhonda has a certificate and some other prizes. The most impressive thing was when one of the instructors at the Nature Center asked Rhonda to bring URCKEL back over and speak to a group of school children about having a turtle for a pet.

Many people have preconceived notions that turtles are \"yucky\" or \"Boring\". I think things like the show at the nature center are great, to both show and educate.

Be on the lookout for things like this in your area !!
sbturtlegrlz6
Level 4
Level 4

oh that\'s soo nice!
shelngav
Level 3
Level 3

That\'s awesome! What a great way to spread the word about turtles and educate those that just dont know. She may have helped some of the poor turtles that are destined to die by educating people. It\'s great she is taking that big of a responsibility for her pet. Often children dont do that. You must be proud!
nchoneydew
Level 1
Level 1

Another thing they had at that show was a documentary about the NC Bog turtle, which is an endangered spiecies. A boy who volunteers there, who looked about 14, did the presentation and they had a small bog turtle (strange looking turtle with a pointed nose) on loan from the NC wildlife museum to show us. I didn\'t know so many people were \"into\" turtles like we are.
I am glad that Rhonda takes such an interest and wants to help others. The people next to us at the show had a very small RES... they asked more questions than anyone. We kind of put our things together... when she was done showing information she said \"and that... is what ours will look like in 3 years\" and pointed next door to our display.
It was very cool.
and yes, I\'m very proud. Thank you.
  • Information