I have a question regarding feeding

Discussions about turtles.
plasmik
Level 2
Level 2

I finally got a filter and heater for my Res\'s tank and they are finally eating, but my only problem now is, i feed them the pellettes and occasionally i throw in some ham, but now i dont want to overfeed them, and i heard you should only give them about 4 pelletes, is that what i should feed each turtle? or is that enough for the two of them? and what do i do, if only one is eating it, and not letting the other guy get a chance to see the food to eat? one is a bit more quick on seeing when i bring out their food, but the other likes to hide and play, by the time he comes out to look for food, its all gone cause greedy took it all, lol. what should i do about this?
tracey8051
Level 1
Level 1

The simplest solution would probably be to feed them in separate containers. This way, not only do they both get to eat a fair share, but your tank stays clean longer since turtles are very messy eaters.
plasmik
Level 2
Level 2

I have tried doing that, but they wont eat if i take them out of their home, what size container should it be? i was putting them in the plastic container that they originally came in that is a bit small, i would say about a foot long. should it be something bigger?
shelngav
Level 3
Level 3

Mine wouldnt do it either. I think he probably would now since he is more comfortable with me now. My vet recommended that I use calcium with vit D3 everyday with mine until it is 1 yr. So I wet the pellets in the aquarium, roll them in the powder and I hand feed mine. He takes it from my fingers and dunks it in the water to eat. You can do this to prevent leaving floating food. Mine doesnt really leave a mess from food it is from the recycling of the food ya know? I would try to hand feed them so you know how much each are getting. It is suppose to be the amount that will fit in it\'s head. So mine gets about 2-3 pellets in the morning and another feeding in the evening of the same.
plasmik
Level 2
Level 2

really, you feed it twice a day, is that not too much, i thought it was, so i only fed it 2-3 pellets each a day.

i would try to feed it by hand, but i noticed that since yesterday, for some reason, when i come close to the tank, one of the turtles swims away, as if it were afraid of me, i have not touched it, or done anything to scare the little one, so i am confused, and now thinking about feeding it, might not work since it seems he is afraid of me, have you ever had this problem?
shelngav
Level 3
Level 3

First, I do feed it twice a day but only because I split the amount that would fit in his head into two portions. That is the rule of thumb for feeding. As for the turtle being afraid, it just takes time for them to get use to you. You may have to hand feed the one and take the other out in a seperate feeding container and just float the food. You can also float some romaine lettuce in the tank for them to eat in between. It is ok for them to snack on unlimited veggies. Just avoid iceberg lettuce, broccoli, spinach and bananas. They block the absorption of (I think it is...) Vitamin A. Good luck!
  • Information