Help me please! my turtles shell is soft!

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
Lyns xo

hi.. i have three turtles.. two of which seem to be fine, but the smallest one\'s shell has been getting soft over the past few weeks. ill pick them up, all of their shells will be fine except for the small one. when i pick him up, his shell bends a lot. please respond i am very scared! thank you!
shelngav
Level 3
Level 3

First, I will assume your set-up is not right. If you do not have one you MUST hurry out to get a UVB light. Without it the turtle can not absorb Calcium! Get a reptisun 5.0 if possible. I dont recommend getting less than 5.0 or more than 8.0. My poor turtle started getting this and I got the 5.0 and calcium powder with Vit D3. Get the light on right away and keep it on 10-12 hours a day. Dust all their food with the powder. My vet recommends this done each day for the first year of life. I get repotmin pellets and wet them roll them in the powder and hand feed it to the turtle. They also need a basking light if you dont have one. What kind of set up do you have? There should be 10 degree difference in the basking area and the water. Be sure to have a glass suction cup thermometer and the water should be 78-82 and the basking 10 degrees more to encourage them to bask. This dries the shell and prevents soft shell from rotting and not getting dry. If that is the problem, the turtle is not basking and the shell is soft, you should take it to a vet. If it is from MBD (metabolic bone disease) that is due to lack of calcium, then the bones in the turtle, as well as the shell are softening and it is painful and the turtle will die if not corrected. If you can give me more info about your aquarium setup.
TurtleSue13
Level 3
Level 3

how small is the small one. babies like maybe 2\" and under have softshells regulary. so if its that small it\'ll be fine. otherwise look at the above post
sbturtlegrlz6
Level 4
Level 4

well unless it is a softshell a turtles shell should NEVER EVER be soft anywhere check with your setup and if it is a proper one bring your turtle to a herp.
  • Information