new turtle

Discussions about turtles.
HShowgirl5

I BOUGHT A YOUNG RED EAR SLIDER FOR MY BOYFRIEND EARLYER THIS SUMMER AND NOW THAT IT IS GETTING COLDER HE IS ACKING KIND OF FUNNY. THE GUY AT THE PET STORE SAID HE MAY BE GOING INTO HIBERNATION. IS THIS NORMAL? HE EATS VERY LITTLE AND WILL NOT MOVE AROUND LIKE HE ALWAYS DOES. WOULD IT BE A GOOD IDEA TO PUT A HEAT LAMP ON HIM?
plasmik
Level 2
Level 2

I just bought two res, and i was going through the same problem, the advise i was given which worked is to get a filter and a heater for your tank, because the water temperature should be at around 75-80 degrees. hope this helps
sbturtlegrlz6
Level 4
Level 4

Yes your need a uvb lamp for your turtle you also need a submersible heater Also hibernation idsoptional I wouldnt suggest it only because unless your a pro at it your turtle will most likely die.
shelngav
Level 3
Level 3

You need to check out the proper set-up for these turtles. Especially if they are babies they are in need of proper set-up. Without the proper heat, lighting and filtration they are very suseptible to getting sick and often die. Check out the page for indoor set-ups.
nchoneydew
Level 1
Level 1

we worried the first year we had our RES too... because she got lathargic and didn\'t eat hardly anything... this lasted for a couple of months during the winter.... then she was back to herself... moving around a lot and eating like a little pig. She does this every year about this time. I know turtles in the wild hibernate, so I figure even though she is a pet, this is her way of hibernating.
Just keep a close eye on your turtle for other signs of something wrong.... and I\'m sure it will be back to normal soon.
  • Information