Heated Rocks

Post any questions you have about a turtle indoor setup here. Or if you have a link to your indoor setup picture we would love to see it.
Aljunior2
Level 1
Level 1

I live at school at the moment and heat lamps are strictly prohibited. Heat rocks however are allowed. I think my basking area needs to be more warm for my turtle, so will a heated rock be okay or is that not good for a RES? If not, any suggestions on what to do until I am home with no restrictions. Any help would be great. Thanks
shelngav
Level 3
Level 3

I have read that heat rocks are BAD for RES. First I hope you are able to have a UVB light on your turtle. Then you can also use a regular light bulb, just check it is giving off enough heat. It would need to be on about the same amount of time as the UVB, about 10 hours. You can put a timer on them so they dont go all night. If not the turtle can get shell rot from not being able to get dry and I would recommend moving it somewhere it can get proper lighting, which is very important. I also hope you have a heater on the tank as well.
Aljunior2
Level 1
Level 1

I have the UVB light and a heater in the water. So, I can use just a regular desk light to warm up her rock better? If that is the case, then that is doable at school. Thanks for the info.
kamby
Level 2
Level 2

I have a heatrock in my tank (just a small one) and the turtles like it
  • Information