Adoption website???

Discussions about turtles.
vectral

Hi, i was wondering...

has anyone adopted any turtles from artsofnature.com? Are they a legitimate store? Reviews/Comments on them? I\'m looking into getting some turtles and would like to get some feedback before i spend any money there. Also, i guess if anyone knows of some other sites to adopt from, please let me know!

Thanks so much!
sbturtlegrlz6
Level 4
Level 4

okay i\'ve been on that site before and i was a little weary about them \"shipping \"the turtle to you and how they ship it.But i know that a lot of pet stores carry realy nice types of turtles and i dont know how well the condition of some of the one\'s that are shipped to you are.also are you fully aware of the responsibility of having a turtle they are a lot of work,time ,money,and patience.good luck-manda
Petunia89
Level 2
Level 2

I got my two turtles from them, and they were healthy and adorable. But please, do not buy the plastic island bowl (death bowl) from them. Have a set up all ready for them before they arrive. I had no idea what was involved with the raising of a turtle. They can not and will not live in that bowl. I got mine from them in August. I found they were very hard to get in contact with. I could never get through on the phone or didn\'t get a response by email, but I did get my turtles. So I would say they are legit. Look at the pages for turtle set ups so you know exactly what they need and how big of a tank you will need for them. The initial set up will be a bit expensive, but totally worth it. They are the neatest little pets! Good luck!
vectral

yeah i\'m down to take care of the turtles. I just wanted to make sure that site was legitimate. They say they had \"email problems\" and they don\'t post their phone number. To me that is strange...But you did say that you ordered turtles from them...

I plan on getting a 20 gallon tank, setting up a beach etc...i\'ll have everything made before i order the turtles.
sbturtlegrlz6
Level 4
Level 4

How did you get your turtles shipped to you were they just in like a box or sumtin?jw?
Petunia89
Level 2
Level 2

Yes, they were in a small styrofoam container with a wet paper towel (I have heard they use wet moss also) and then put in a larger box with styrofoam popcorn to keep them from bouncing around and shipped by Airborne Express (I don\'t know if it was 1 or 2 day). But they arrived A-OK!
shelngav
Level 3
Level 3

Personally, I went to the site after reading these posts the other day, I feel just a bit suspicious. I mean they say they are an adoption site...but first how come they only adopt out tiny turtles, not grown ones? In my opinion they are breeding them, otherwise how could they guarantee no salmonella and that they are all babies? I have not been impressed with what I have read or seen. It is only my opinion but they seem to me to be a turtle farm operating under the auspice of a rescue and charging a pretty penny for it as well. What a lucrative business in the name of humanity!
Petunia89
Level 2
Level 2

I believe you are right...I didn\'t know better at the time. I was at another forum and read that these people will not ship them via your own Airborne Express account, only through theirs, thus charging you for it. They say that you are paying for shipping only, but if you have your own account with the carrier they use I don\'t understand why they don\'t do it. I am sure it is a turtle farm. I was just so excited that I found these little critters, and had no idea they were even still around. Like I have said before, my purchase was a complete impulse buy and I had no idea what I was getting into. But now that I have a wonderful set up for them and they have become a part of the family, I wouldn\'t change it for the world!! I probably wouldn\'t buy from these people again, but I am happy with what I got from them in the first place.
tracey8051
Level 1
Level 1

I ordered two turtles from arts of nature several months ago, and they are both healthy and happy, but I was not impressed by the way they were shipped.

They were in a styrofoam hamburger box with \"wet\" paper towels that had dried out and when they were delivered, the airborne girl looked horrified when she realized there were live animals in the box, even though it said so right on the side. I can only imagine what she did to the poor little critters.

My advice would be to check all the petstores in your area, even aquarium stores, since even though they are illegal to sell little, it is done anyway now with a sign on the glass that says \"for educational purposes only\".

Now that I have mine, I\'ve seen adorable, tiny sliders in 3 different stores. I only wish I had known that then.

Good luck.
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

It would also be nice to adopt a turtle from a turtle rescue/rehoming operation rather than line the pockets of some the businesses mentioned here and other places. There are a number of them (do a web search), and there are many turtles waiting for good homes...
  • Information