help

Not sure what kind of turtle you have? Come in and ask the turtle community.
lenahall

hi,
I sure hope someone out there can help.I do know I have leaf turtles.they have dark shells are 4\"and have pinkish stripes on their necks. I would say (striped neck) but they never come out of the water. My tank is 50/50 water &land. they eat wonderful. The tank stays at 76deg. ,they have feeder fish& live plants also, which they show no interest in. I have had them about a month.Any info would be great!!! Thanks Lena Hall
shelngav
Level 3
Level 3

Sounds like you have red eared sliders. That is the distinguishing mark the red, pink or orange line on the neck. Do you have a basking light? It needs to be 10 degrees warmer than the water to get them out. Also I hope you have a UVB light as well or they will develop metabolic bone disease. The shell and bones will soften because without the light they can not absorb calcium properly. At this age the turtles tend to be more omnivorous and eat less meat. Feed them veggies, anachris, stay away from broccoli, cabbage family and spinach, but carrots and other veggies are great. Mine loves romaine as well. I just tear it off and float it in the tank.
sbturtlegrlz6
Level 4
Level 4

Also when giving lettuce make sure it is always romaine cuz iceburg is a no no.
Tinkerbell
Level 3
Level 3

Sound s to me like what you have is a red ear slider! sounds like you have a pretty good setup.
Good luck and congratulations:)
  • Information