Does she need a friend?

Discussions about turtles.
Aljunior2
Level 1
Level 1

As I have been reading a lot of these posts I notice that most people have two turtles at least. Do RES like to have friends? Should I get another turtle to keep Squirt company?
shelngav
Level 3
Level 3

I have seen various opinions on this site about that. It is up to you. Some say that turtles are not animals that live in groups so they are fine alone. I chose not to get another one for a few reasons. Keep these in mind if you do choose to get Squirt a friend. One...when they begin to mature there can be territory and aggression issues. You may find that you would have to seperate them. Even after they have been together for a while this can develop. That would mean 2 set-ups and a lot more expense. The other issue is being sure you have enough room for both in an aquarium. The rule of thumb is ten gallons per inch of shell, ON EACH TURTLE. So if you have 2 and they become full grown females (10 inches) you may be looking for a 200 gal aquarium or making a pond outside. My little Herman is fine by himself. Occasionally I put in a fish or two for him to chase and eat. He gets exercise and gives him something to do.
  • Information