I think something is wrong with my Turtle

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
Aljunior2
Level 1
Level 1

I have a new red eared slider. I have had her for about two months now. For awhile she was eating like crazy. I would feed her at night and she would eat fine. Now, she spends all her time basking on the rock in her tank and when she is in the water and I try to feed her, she wont eat. Any suggestions? Do you think she is sick? Any help would be great!
Petunia89
Level 2
Level 2

Do you have her water warm enough? What are you feeding her? Is it a hatchling? Mine sometimes eat like crazy then they get picky if it\'s not exactly what they were hoping for (like bugs!).
Aljunior2
Level 1
Level 1

I have a heater in her tank and the water is warm. I also have the UV light for reptiles. A friend of mine who has the same turtle gave me the Repto Min food and said that would be fine for the turtle, so that is what I am feeding her. Is there something better I should try that she might prefer or would be better for her diet?
Petunia89
Level 2
Level 2

A lot of people here seem to use the Reptomin. I use the ZooMeds Aquatic Turtle Hatchling food and mine seem to really like it, but would prefer to have crickets or meal worms. I was feeding way too many crickets to them and they were starting to grow too fast. You need to give them a variety of foods. Mine haven\'t gone for the veggies yet, but I keep trying. I am a newbie also (I have had mine since August) and am still learning. You have a basking area that is warmer than the water right? They need this also to digest the food. Hope this helps a little. Hopefully someone with more expert advice will also post for you! They are usually really good at posting links with info so you can research. Good luck!
shelngav
Level 3
Level 3

Do you see any other symptoms? Does it seem to float to one side sometimes? Also watch for mucus or bubbles at the nose or mouth. My turtle was tipping a bit in the water which I heard could be a sign of respiratory infection. One lung can get fluid in it causing the turtle to lean. I took him to the vet and the vet said it was fine. Well he wasnt, it takes a while for the symptoms to develop sometimes. He then began basking all the time and I even found him sleeping on his rock, which he never did. His appetite went way down. Then I noticed him gaping. That is where the turtle keeps opening his mouth, kinda like a yawn. This means he is having probs breathing. I took him to the vet and he got a series of shots 5 every other day. It was amazing...in 2 days his appetite came back stronger than ever. He had probably been sick for a while. So just keep an eye out. Be sure the water temp is good and you might even want to raise it to like 82 if there is a chance he has a resp. infection. You DEFINITELY need to seperate the two turtles if you think he may have an infection or the other will get it too. I had to change the tank every other day when he got the shot and clean it well to rid it of the infection so he wouldnt get it again. Good luck and let us know.
Last edited by shelngav on Thu Nov 06, 2003 1:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Aljunior2
Level 1
Level 1

There seem to be no other symptoms other than she doesnt eat much and she spends a ton of time on the rock and is barely ever in the water any time that I am around the tank which is typically at night. Could it just be that she needs a different type of food?
shelngav
Level 3
Level 3

Watch for other symptoms! Mine started doing this even at night. He later developed symptoms, which sometimes take a while to show. I took mine in and he got antibiotic shots and is now fine. If you think he is getting worse or are still concerned, I would take him to a herp vet to be safe. You may find that some of your vets treat reptiles as well. Good luck.
  • Information