what does this mean?

Discussions about turtles.
plasmik
Level 2
Level 2

one of my red ear sliders tends to tip over and is on his back, is this a bad thing? or this normal? he eventually tips himself over back in place, but this happens alot, and the other slider i have doesnt ever go through that, does this mean anything? or is he just being playful?
Petunia89
Level 2
Level 2

Do you have him in deep enough water? This shouldn\'t happen if there is enough water. Mine fall over, but the water is deep enough that they just kind of float right side up. Hope this helps.
plasmik
Level 2
Level 2

petunia89 wrote:
Do you have him in deep enough water? This shouldn\'t happen if there is enough water. Mine fall over, but the water is deep enough that they just kind of float right side up. Hope this helps.
this doesnt happen in the water, this happens when they are in the rock area, i kind of have their tank set up like an island, and they have part land and part water, so is this a normal thing?
shelngav
Level 3
Level 3

I haven\'t seen it with my turtle. Just try to make it as maneuverable as possible with the rock area as flat and unobstructed as you can. It isn\'t playing and can be dangerous if it doesnt get back upright. They will suffocate because they cant breathe on their backs. Good luck!
plasmik
Level 2
Level 2

shelngav wrote:
I haven\'t seen it with my turtle. Just try to make it as maneuverable as possible with the rock area as flat and unobstructed as you can. It isn\'t playing and can be dangerous if it doesnt get back upright. They will suffocate because they cant breathe on their backs. Good luck!
ok, thanks, yea i think its from the rocks that tip him over, sometimes its the other turtle that tends to tip him over, he likes to walk up against the glass is this ok? i dont understand why they dont walk straight, they do sometimes but most of the time they both like to walk against the glass, is this something i should worry about?
shelngav
Level 3
Level 3

Not to worry. I think they are trying to explore further than the glass will let them. Mine will do this to, especially in his critter keeper when I was taking him to the vet.
plasmik
Level 2
Level 2

shelngav wrote:
Not to worry. I think they are trying to explore further than the glass will let them. Mine will do this to, especially in his critter keeper when I was taking him to the vet.
oh good, im glad to hear. I just want the best for my new little members of the family, lol. They are so adorable, i would like them to be healthy and happy. My next step is to get them a water heater and a filter.
sbturtlegrlz6
Level 4
Level 4

How big is the tank your turtle is in because they tend to want to \"climb or escape\" out of anything that\'s too small.
plasmik
Level 2
Level 2

sbturtlegrlz6 wrote:
How big is the tank your turtle is in because they tend to want to \"climb or escape\" out of anything that\'s too small.
the tank is a 10 gallon, which is only temporary, till i can find a good deal on a bigger and nicer tank
plasmik
Level 2
Level 2

sbturtlegrlz6 wrote:
the tank is a 10 gallon, which is only temporary, till i can find a good deal on a bigger and nicer tank
sbturtlegrlz6
Level 4
Level 4

okay well you should get them into a bigger tank if a regular tank is too expensive your turtle can use a large rubermaid box I heard they work great gl.
plasmik
Level 2
Level 2

should i get them a bigger tank right away? or just when i get the chance? they are still babies they are about 2 inches in shell size. and if i do have to get one right away, what size do you recommend i get?
shelngav
Level 3
Level 3

I wouldn\'t waste money by upsizing over and over. They recommend 10 gal for each inch of shell on each turtle. So in reality that would be a potential of 200 gal if each got to 10 inches. That may be unrealistic for you. I would way they are probably ok for a bit, but would watch for yard sales and used in the classifieds. I have a baby about 2 in now in a 10 gal and will be getting a 100 as soon as I can. If you need to get by before that like they say a good size rubbermaid container will suffice for a while, just be sure to transfer over lighting and heating. The more cramped it becomes for them the more likely the chance for aggression to develop.
Last edited by shelngav on Wed Nov 12, 2003 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

ya,I think it\'s fine unless the turtle can\'t flip over because he/she will overheat and die.
SFS97

plasmik wrote:
should i get them a bigger tank right away? or just when i get the chance? they are still babies they are about 2 inches in shell size. and if i do have to get one right away, what size do you recommend i get?
You can get a 20 gallon long at Petsmart for $24.99, thats what I am starting with..

Btw, I\'m a newbie.. Nice to be hear...
  • Information