One of my turtles bit the other\'s tail off.

Discussions about turtles.
portillm
Level 1
Level 1

I\'m new to this site. I started searching for information after I noticed the hostile behavior between my two turtles. I think they are red ear sliders. The smaller of the two, which after viewing your turtle species list looks more like a small snapper turtle. Anyway, I noticed that the larger of the two turtles always seems to be scurrying from the little one. After looking them over closely, I noticed the tail of the red ear was chewed. I have seperated them and I\'m looking for a new housing set up since they are not getting along.

My question is, with a larger set up, do you think I could put them back together or should I keep them seperated?

By the way, the tail did not seem to bleed and seems to be healing. I\'ve taken him out of the water for now until it looks better. Also from reading this web site I found that cleaning it with peroxide might help, which I will begin tonight. Any additional information you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Michelle
shelngav
Level 3
Level 3

If the smaller one is a snapper, you will probably need to keep them seperate. Usually I hear of the bigger turtle being the aggressor. Keep an eye on the tail, but be sure you dont keep the turtle out of the water or away from proper lighting. If a tank is not big enough there are territory issues anyhow. How big is your tank and what does it have as a set-up?
portillm
Level 1
Level 1

I\'m embarrassed to say, but their set up has been a large bowl probably 1 ft in diameter and 4 to 5 inches deep. I have kept them in enough water to cover their backs with enough pepples to one side of the bowl for them to come out of the water. I change their water once a week and put them in the sun on weekends. I understand now that this is an inappropriate set up and that it has probably led to their territorial issues. I will be going to Pet Smart this weekend to get an aquarium style set up. Do you have any recommendations?

Last night I cleaned the wounded tail with peroxide. It\'s looking better everyday. My other concern is that he doesn\'t seem to be using his front right leg to propel. He lets me touch it without retracting it back under his shell. It seems to be weak and doesn\'t have the force that the front left leg has. I\'ve examined it very closely and it doesn\'t seem to have any injuries other than just being weak. Do you have any idea what could be going on? He is eating well but has been a lot less active since I\'ve seperated him from the smaller turtle. He\'s probably happy that he doesn\'t have to run from her any longer.

Lastly, since I\'ve seperated the two, the small snapper isn\'t eating. What can I do?
portillm
Level 1
Level 1

I\'m embarrassed to say, but their set up has been a large bowl probably 1 ft in diameter and 4 to 5 inches deep. I have kept them in enough water to cover their backs with enough pebbles to one side of the bowl for them to come out of the water. I change their water once a week and put them in the sun on weekends. I understand now that this is an inappropriate set up and that it has probably led to their territorial issues. I will be going to Pet Smart this weekend to get an aquarium style set up. Do you have any recommendations?

Last night I cleaned the wounded tail with peroxide. It\'s looking better everyday. My other concern is that he doesn\'t seem to be using his front right leg to propel. He lets me touch it without retracting it back under his shell. It seems to be weak and doesn\'t have the force that the front left leg has. I\'ve examined it very closely and it doesn\'t seem to have any injuries other than just being weak. Do you have any idea what could be going on? He is eating well but has been a lot less active since I\'ve seperated him from the smaller turtle. He\'s probably happy that he doesn\'t have to run from her any longer.

Lastly, since I\'ve seperated the two, the small snapper isn\'t eating. What can I do?
shelngav
Level 3
Level 3

Last edited by shelngav on Thu Nov 06, 2003 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
portillm
Level 1
Level 1

[/quote]
portillm
Level 1
Level 1

Thank you so much for the information. I\'ll let you know how things go. Todd, the turtle with the injured tail, looked much better last night. I\'m sure they will both be happier in their new environment. I\'m going shopping tonight.

Have a great weekend.

Michelle
  • Information