Proper Food

Discussions about turtles.
Susan

I had been feeding my turtles the Gammare (little dried shrimp) which they love. Then I read where this should not be fed as a staple, just a treat. I have been trying to get them to eat the Reptomin floating turtle sticks (which by the way only float for a few seconds, which I think confuses them) and they really just don\'t like them. They want shrimp!! One of them finally broke down and ate the sticks I put in, but the other one refuses. Do I starve him until he eats what I give him, or throw in a few shrimp to keep him going? Thanks!!
Willie
Level 3
Level 3

No, don\'t starve him. Soem of my turtles don\'t touch teh sticks either. Try, instead of just the shrimp, blood worms, earth and meal worms, bits of lettace or apple or carrots. Cricket, feeder fish, ect. They should have a ballanced diet. Good luck!
Willie
shelngav
Level 3
Level 3

It is always good to keep vegetation in for them to munch. Mine loves romaine lettuce, dont give iceberg, I float it in the aquarium during the day. Usually there isn\'t any left to take out at night, except the stalk which he doesn\'t like. I also buy anachris, an aquatic plant which mine also loves. Try different veggies like Willie said they need variety. They can be picky eaters, just like people there are some things some do not like. By the way dont give broccoli or spinach. I cant remember what it does for sure but it can deplete something they need. Cooked unseasoned lean meat is ok on a limited basis. You just dont want to give them too much protein. So occasional minnows or snail or shrimp are ok.
  • Information