Basking

Discussions about turtles.
Susan

Does my turtle know when and how long it needs to bask? I have 2 small turtles, one of which basks quite a bit and the other spends most of the time I see it in the water (keeping in mind that I am at work a good part of the day and don\'t see them). I am suspicious that it may be jumping in the water when it hears me coming to beg for food, but I still worry that it isn\'t staying dry enough. I don\'t want it to get shell rot or anything like that. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Susan
Willie
Level 3
Level 3

My turtles bask at different amounts of times as well. It just depends on the turtle. I\'m sure he basks during teh day while your at work. As long as he stays healthy and is peeling his skin (it means he\'s growing) he should be fine. Good luck,
Willie
shelngav
Level 3
Level 3

Mine didn\'t appear to be basking much at first, but I believe it was basking while I was gone. Now that it is use to us we see him out all the time. He has even stopped scrambling to the water like he use to when we walked by or approached the tank.
plasmik
Level 2
Level 2

Willie wrote:
My turtles bask at different amounts of times as well. It just depends on the turtle. I\'m sure he basks during teh day while your at work. As long as he stays healthy and is peeling his skin (it means he\'s growing) he should be fine. Good luck,
Willie
so its a good thing, to see the turtle shedding? i just noticed that my biggest res, who is about 2 1/2 inches, is shedding, he seems healthy, he eats, he plays and all. should i worry about this or this ok?
shelngav
Level 3
Level 3

Perfectly normal, especially after a nice growth spurt. They outgrow their old skin. Just keep an eye that is looks healthy and isnt getting infected. Sometimes there can be other problems. But if it looks like fine new skin underneath, GREAT!
bill
Level 1
Level 1

im in the 6th grade and my teacher has 2 res that i am taking home at the end of the year the 1 that sleeps under the filter doesnt bask ethier
  • Information