Turtle Newbie Questions :-)

Post any questions you have about a turtle indoor setup here. Or if you have a link to your indoor setup picture we would love to see it.
Chanchiluv

Hi! I just got a painted turtle for my daughter today, and I have a few questions. First off, how long can turtles hold their breath under water? It looked like ours was sleeping under the water this evening. Also, how hard is it for them to learn how to get up on those floating rock islands? I\'m actually not sure that she even knows she can climb up on ours yet. After I turned out the lights for the night, I heard her splashing around alot, trying to climb up the glass wall, so I picked her up and put her on the island. She\'s still there now, a 1/2 hour later. But, she hasn\'t fallen asleep yet. What do you guys think? Should I just wait and see how she does tomorrow? Also, do you think if I took out some water and lowered the water level it might be easier for her to climb on it? I get the feeling that the island is floating too \'high\'. Thanks in advance! :-) Linda
Petunia89
Level 2
Level 2

I had a rock right under the edge of the floating island so that they had sort of a ramp to get up on it. I now have an acrylic turtle ramp next to the island and they scoot right up on it.
Chanchiluv

DO you mean one of those plastic ones that use suction cups? I think I saw one of those in another post. I have quite a bit of water underneath the island, about 11 inches worth (29 gallon tank), and I don\'t want to have to sacrifice too much swiming space to get a ramp in there. :-) Thanks for your input! Linda

petunia89 wrote:
I had a rock right under the edge of the floating island so that they had sort of a ramp to get up on it. I now have an acrylic turtle ramp next to the island and they scoot right up on it.
Petunia89
Level 2
Level 2

Yes one of those plastic ones with the suction cups. It doesn\'t take up a lot of room and they can swim under it.
m1key72988
Level 3
Level 3

make sure the water lvl is just under the floating island so the turtle can get on.
Willie
Level 3
Level 3

Don\'t be worried if your turtle sleeps under water. They\'re instincts let them know when to go to the surface for a breath, even if their sleeping. Just make sure that she has a place to get up and rest, so she doesn\'t get overly tired and drown. Good Luck,
Willie
princessb

I RECENTLY GOT A WATER TURTLE FOR MY STEPDAUGHTER AND SON AND I DO NOT THINK I HAVE THE TANK SET UP RIGHT. I AM DOING EVERYTHING THE GUY AT THE PET STORE TOLD ME TO DO AND EVERYTHING THAT I AM READING ABOUT WATER TURTLES IS LIKE THE OPPOSITE. CAN SOMEBODY PLEASE HELP ME? THE PET STORE SAID THE TURTLE NEEDS ONLY 2 INCHES OF WATER. THE TURTLE\'S SHELL IS WIDER THAN 2 INCHES. THE KIND OF TURTLE I HAVE IS THE RED SLIDER KIND. CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME HOW MUCH WATER NEEDS TO BE IN THE TANK AND I ONLY HAVE ONE ROCK THAT IS ALLMOST ALL THE WAY UNDER THE WATER. IF ANY ONE CAN HELP ME ON THIS I WOULD REALLY APPRECIATE IT. I DO NOT WANT TO END OF KILLING MY TURTLE BECAUSE I DONT HAVE ENOUGH WATER. THANKS
shelngav
Level 3
Level 3

Last edited by shelngav on Thu Jan 01, 2004 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  • Information