Tank size

Post any questions you have about a turtle indoor setup here. Or if you have a link to your indoor setup picture we would love to see it.
Mike107866

I have a 13 year old male red eared slider. the carapace is about 6 inches long. I\'m keeping him a 20 gallon tank but everything I\'ve read about sliders is that they need a large tank. Can anyone make a recommendation about the tank size? I know its a one time fee but a 55 gallon tank is more than 100 dollars in most places, so it\'ll only come to that if its a necessity. The tank has two filters working on it, a fluval 2 and a penguin 170 and water temps 72 degrees, got rocks and a basking light.
preciousbabihien
Level 2
Level 2

I have heard that every inch equals ten gallons? So in your case 60 gallons. I don\'t know if it is true or not but ya knoe.... I do understand about your hesitation because of how much tanks cost. Especially a big of a tank as 60 gallons
shelngav
Level 3
Level 3

I have heard the same. Every inch of shell is 10 gal, for each turtle. You can watch the paper for used aquariums. If the weather permits you may want to put it outside, but you would have to hibernate him. A plastic pool with a set up would be better than not enough room like you have now.
sbturtlegrlz6
Level 4
Level 4

You can also use large rubermaid containers and looks for used tanks.
  • Information