Just got my new tank!

Discussions about turtles.
Petunia89
Level 2
Level 2

I am soooo excited!!! I ordered a long 60 gallon tank with a double screened top and I picked it up tonight!!! I can\'t wait to put the babies in it! I swear it looks HUGE compared to their 10 gallon. Boy these $20 turtles are sure adding up with the accessories...but it\'s worth it, they are so neat to watch I want them to have what they need...hopefully they won\'t outgrow this one within a couple of months...my ultimate plan is to put a pond in the backyard for them when they start to get really big. Hmmm, now I have to figure out where to put this big dude!! Sorry, I am rambling...I am just a tad happy.
Petunia89
Level 2
Level 2

I set my tank up, although the only contents are what was in the 10 gallon...needless to say it is really bare! I filled it 1/3 full and I think it is way overkill for 2 babies!!! I figured they could have some of their own space (since they kept doing the hand fluttering thing at each other and looking irritated with their cramped quarters), but they are sticking together and looking so lost in this big tank. I think I will go tomorrow and get them some more stuff, plants and such. Oh well just thought I would share!
shelngav
Level 3
Level 3

That\'s cool. I think my next tank (I have a 10 gal now) will be 100 gal. that way I wont have to waste money upgrading all the time. I imagine it really looks bare. They will enjoy it though and become use to it soon enough. How did you get your filter to work with it only 1/3 full. I have to constantly add water to mine so the level doesn\'t get too low. Becareful about the double screened top. I hope the screen isnt between the turtles and the light. It will filter out the UVB rays and your turtles will get MBD. How big are your babies. Mine is about the size of a silver dollar now. He has grown a lot. I\'m sure his appetite has played into that! ;)
Petunia89
Level 2
Level 2

I have a submersible filter at both ends and they are turned sideways, one is a RIO 600 and one is a RIO 180, somemore overkill. The split screen is more of a 1/4 split, so the smaller side of the screen has the basking lamp covering it and the rest has the UVB light. The holes aren\'t super tiny and is exactly the same as the top on my other one so it shouldn\'t be a problem. I am kind of worried cause it has been about 2 hours and they haven\'t checked out the basking area yet, I put them on it but they jumped off, I tried to keep the tank set up the same so as to not confuse them. I hope they don\'t get too tired of all the swimming and treading water. I do have a rock in the middle so they can take a rest on it and still poke their head out of the water. One of the turtles is about 2 inches and one is about 1 1/2 inches, they grew really fast I think cause I was feeding them too much, but we have cut way back so they should slow down a little bit.
shelngav
Level 3
Level 3

Believe it or not, glass will wipe out almost all of the UVB rays. So I would be sure it is unobstructed completely. My poor guy started getting a soft shell and I had to rush out to get everything to correct it. They say it is painful, I felt horrible. The first time I changed the water in my aquarium we changed some things around. That sometimes stresses them a bit. They will get use to it and eventually be back to themselves. Do they have an area to hide? That always makes them feel better until they feel like venturing out. Sometimes mine likes to hide under the romaine lettuce I float in the aquarium. They will like it with the plants in there. I set up my rocks so that there is an open area that he can swim through. Sometimes he likes to hide there. They will get out a little more after they feel safe.
Petunia89
Level 2
Level 2

No hiding area, I guess that would be a good idea. They have been hanging out under their island. My lights aren\'t going through any glass, and it\'s pretty much the same set up as I had before just a lot bigger. I haven\'t really had any problem with their shell being too soft, especially since I started to give them the cuttlebone, I only had problems with it changing weird colors. I got the tank at the same reptile store as my small tank.
shelngav
Level 3
Level 3

I was just letting you know that even as see thru as glass is it still filters out the UVB, so they recommend nothing between the light and the turtles, the water will even filter some out. Just keep an eye on them. Even though you give them calcium they can still get MBD because without the right amount of UVB they cant absorb it.
Petunia89
Level 2
Level 2

I know you have to be careful about barriers blocking out the UVB, I didn\'t until I came to this site, but I do know now, thanks to all of you guys! I do have to have the top covered though due to a cat and kids, for the safety of the turtles! Thanks for all the info, I hope they settle in their new home ok.
shelngav
Level 3
Level 3

I\'m sure they will, it jsut take some time. Sounds like you are on the right track. Well, off to study for my midterm that I will probably fail....which I should have been doing already, then to bed! Nite! ;)
  • Information