sick turtle

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
aisling

ok, i\'m definitely freaking out. i\'ve had two red eared sliders (Gershwin and Poe) for about 3 months now, and they\'ve been doing very well. Today I came home and noticed that the smaller guy, Poe, is hanging out under the basking log a lot. He\'s always been the smaller of the two, but I make sure he gets plenty to eat and he seemed completely well until today. I keep checking on him, but he stays there...doesn\'t seem very interesting in food. I also saw him yawn (only once), but I\'ve never seen him do that before. He also has his eyes closed, but I\'ve never seen him sleep during the day unless he\'s basking. I\'m terribly worried about him....how long should I wait before taking him for a checkup? what should I do for him in the meantime?
Just some info--the boys have a 25 gallon tank (they\'re still tiny), filtered water, good sized basking area, water heater and thermometer, heat lamp and UVB light, calcium thingy....they eat the baby turtle pellets, the occassional worm, and crickets. they\'ve always seems great...perfectly healthy and happy.
Any help would be most welcome.
rfox
Level 3
Level 3

First you need to separate the two. Nest you need to raise the temperature for the one that seems sick. I am suggesting that you read this previous post and try these things if you do not have a herp vet available http://www.allturtles.com/msgboard/view ... picID=2644
Alisting for herp vets by state http://www.anapsid.org/vets/index.html#vetlist
Hope this helps.
sbturtlegrlz6
Level 4
Level 4

ok the same exact thing abut a week ago was happing with my beautiful baby float fourtunatly after a week it cleared up and she is fine do you have a sub.heater and uvb lamp?
shelngav
Level 3
Level 3

Here is another link
http://www.web.ms11.net/happyturtle/medical.html
My turtle was leaning to one side, which is an early symptom of respiratory infection (RI). I took him to one vet and he said he looked fine and didnt seem to be laboring in breathing. About a week later he was not swimming as much, basking all the time and even at night he didnt get in the water. He slept during the day. He started gaping (yawn) and then I noticed a bubble from his mouth and what appeared to be mucous. I quickly got him to the vet. They gave him a series of 5 antibiotic shots. He finished his last Friday. These were every other day. Two days later he started swimming more and by the second shot he was back to normal. I highly recommend taking it in as soon as you can. RI is a big killer of baby RES. Winter is coming and the risk is even greater. Be sure to keep him quarantined as it is infectious and keep them out of drafts. I raised my tank temp to 84 while he will ill. The vet recommended changing the water the days he got a shot to eliminate the contamination so he would get well. Good luck and keep us posted.
aisling

hi guys...thanks for the help. poe was completely back to normal two days later and we\'ve been watching him very carefully. he\'s (i think he is a \"he\") is eating well, swimming, and basking. we made sure there are no drafts coming into the aquarium and turned up the temperature a bit....we also thoroughly cleaned the aquarium and rocks and plants and basking log. HOWEVER, something else strange happened tonight. i was on the phone, and out of the corner of my eye i noticed some weird motion going on in the aquarium. i walked slowly (crept rather) over as to not scare them and the two (poe and gershwin) were in the water, nose-to-nose, with there little front hands touching and fluttering really quickly. i think i\'ve read/heard somewhere that this is a mating dance. i have no idea whether they are both males. we bought them from the same place at the same time....gershwin grew much, much bigger than poe from the beginning, but both are still rather little (shells about 2 1/2 inches long). i\'ve tried to look at their tails and front claws to determine their sex, but i have no clue.
what should i do? how will i know if they are (ahem) getting it on? what should i do if they are? HEEELLLLP
shelngav
Level 3
Level 3

They are doing the mating dance. This does not however mean they are the opposite sex. It is hard to tell for a while. The females shell underneath are more convex (rounded outward) The males are concave (dented in) The reason for this answers your next question about AHEM... The male\'s shell is concave so it will fit with the top of the female\'s shell. So he will mount her. The female\'s shell is convex so that there is room for eggs. Now I looked it up and it seems that they are not gauged by age for sexual maturity, but by size. So when their shell gets to about 5 inches. They are just practicing the mating dance now. Just keep an eye out for any aggressive behaviors. Here is the page I found the info about mating. http://centralpets.com/pages/critterpag ... 2632.shtml
aisling

thanks very much for your help :)
  • Information