basking temp

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
cmo553
Level 1
Level 1

How can you tell the temperture of the basking area? I bought one of the sticky thermometers and was thinking of sticking it on the side where the basking area is. But I wanted to ask here first and make sure.

And...does anyone know if a regular light bulb give UVB rays? I thought I read that somewhere on here...I could be wrong though.
sbturtlegrlz6
Level 4
Level 4

No they dont you need to buy a uvb light specielly made for animalsand as for the temp i do the thing with the thermometer.
rfox
Level 3
Level 3

The stick on will give you a rough idea but is no where near accurate. You need to get a thermometer that is designed to measure the basking area such as one for putting on the side of the tank to measure the temp of the basking area. Should be available at the pet store of your choice.
Last edited by rfox on Mon Oct 20, 2003 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

You need a light that specfically says it emits UVB rays. A regular lightbulb gives off only UVA rays and heat. (You need that, but a UVB light as well.) Any barrier (glass, plexiglass, screens, etc.) will block UVB rays too, don`t have anything coming between the UVB rays and your turtle. The UVB light should also be no more than 12 inches away from your turtle for it to benefit.
  • Information