Little help here

Post any questions you have about a turtle indoor setup here. Or if you have a link to your indoor setup picture we would love to see it.
Gwiki

Okay folks....let\'s bear with my ignorance...Okay?! My son has \"adopted\" a baby turtle, and we need to get a tank set up properly. This is an incredible site, btw...kudos to all involved. The turtle is a baby common musk turtle (do I need to know anything in particular about this species?) Do all water turtles require the same basic set up (ie= 10 gallons for each inch of shell, enough water to completely submerge, a beach, hiding spots, and 2 lamps?) I\'m also curious about what sort of food I should feed it...and how often. I\'m a LONG way away from any pet stores...so hopefully bait shop kinda stuff will suffice. Thanks in advance for the assistance.
sbturtlegrlz6
Level 4
Level 4

Unfourtunatly a bait shop wont do it you need to go to a petstore.You need a uvb light and a submersible heater a basking rock,turtle pellets,plants,and river rocksand a good submersible filter for a musk turtle this is some basics:grow 3-5 \"(so your tank should be about a 40 gallon)males have very bad tempers and tend to bitelike all turtles do and they like to spend most of their time at the bottom of their tank .-gl hope it helps!!!!
Gwiki

I was talking about utilizing the bait shop for food. Will worms, crickets, and feeder fish meet the little guy\'s nutritional needs? I have a 55 gallon tank and everything else I need except for the UVB light, and some cuttle bones.
tracey8051
Level 1
Level 1

This info is on a page for red eared sliders, but if you live far away from pet stores, it might help in the long run. www.reslider.free.fr/raising.html is a page that tells you how to set up very simple ecosystems with very little work to raise food for your turtle. I would search for your breed first to make sure of what they can eat, but this site has great ideas for crickets, snails, earthworm ecosystems and more. Good luck!
tracey8051
Level 1
Level 1

Okay, for some reason that link did not work when I tried it, but you can just do a general search for the name of the site, which is Reslider\'s Swamp. Click on feeding and then follow the simple links under each section for setting up a simple ecosystem.
rfox
Level 3
Level 3

Here are some additional places that can help you with diet. Basics are if under one year they like to eat a little more protein than veggie. Veggies are turnip, collard, mustard greens, romaine lettuce, any of the lettuces except iceberg. All they really want in veggies. Limit bananas. No spinach, broccoli. Some limited chicken if boiled or brioled and skinless, some limited shrimp. But if you have some turtle pellets then that will be covered. Get a cuttlebone like is used for a bird and take off the hard back and let the turtle work on it in the water and it will get the calcuim and trace minerals covered.
http://www.turtlecare.net/index.htm
http://www.anapsid.org/mainchelonians.html
http://www.austinsturtlepage.com/
http://www.chelonia.org/Articles/bcwaterturtles.htm
Hope that some of these give you some information on turtle care and feeding
sbturtlegrlz6
Level 4
Level 4

you cant feed crickets worms and feeder fish as a regular diet okay??you need turtle food.
TurtleSue13
Level 3
Level 3

get turtle pellets an rotate the diet
shelngav
Level 3
Level 3

If you are far from a pet store you can also buy online. Petsmart is fairly inexpensive and then you can have it shipped to your home.
sbturtlegrlz6
Level 4
Level 4

and the best thing bout shopping online is the prices are cheaper!!
  • Information