Do turtles eat other species of turtles?

Discussions about turtles.
shai631
Level 3
Level 3

My cousin found what I discovered on the Internet to be an Eastern Painted Turtle near the Hudson River today (04/14/02). He brought it to my apartment & left it here, thinking that I would know how to care for it better than he would. Problem is: the Painted Turtle is 6\" long and I have 2 red-eared sliders which were given to me in October which are now about 3\" long. Currently, I have moved my sliders to a 2 1/2 gallon cage that I was using to hold them in when I clean their 20 gal. tank, but I put the Painted turt in the 20 gal. for now (he\'s too big for the 2 gal. tank). I don\'t want my turts to stay in the small tank, (I think that would be cruel), but I don\'t want them to be eaten! I know some turtles are carnivorous, and have known from experience that turtles like to eat things that are smaller than them, (RIP \"Goldy\" & \"Silvy\" the goldfish!). Please let me know if they could co-exist with the bigger turt! :)
P.S. Any other hints on caring for the Eastern Painted Turtle would be greatly appreciated. ;)

I subscribe to Reptiles magazine and I read that Painted turtles do best in out door ponds.I also know for a fact that Painted and RES turtles are very compatable in bigger enclosers.I recommend a 55-60 gallon vivarium for all of them to be together in the same tank (20 gallons is way to small).
Kara
Level 1
Level 1

Last edited by Kara on Mon Apr 15, 2002 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
shai631
Level 3
Level 3

I tried putting the Eastern Painted Turtle with my 2 RES in the same tank, but the Eastern Painted Turtle pinned one of my RES to the wall and tried to bite its head off. Luckily I live by the river & there\'s a conservatory in the park. I gave the Painted Turt back to the pros, who told me that they will be sending her to a pond in Alabama.
Thanks for your posts though. :)
  • Information