how much water do i change when cleaning?

Discussions about turtles.
midicook

I just recently got 2 baby res, and i was wondering if i when i clean the tank, should i remove all the water or just partial amounts each time. I have a 20G tank and i was wondering if syphoning out the water is the best way to go.
sbturtlegrlz6
Level 4
Level 4

Well my dad cleans the tanks for me and he syp[hons but i dont do the cleaning of the turtle tanks so i dont know if their is a better/easier way.
m1key72988
Level 3
Level 3

Syphoning, i find is the best way to go. thats what i do and it saves alot of time. you can buy diff. size tubes, the thicker tubes get the water out real fast and it save time to clean the rest of the tank.
BHRPmy4turtles
Level 1
Level 1

i use a syphon hose and i take all the water out.but always shut off the filter first!
shelngav
Level 3
Level 3

Some recommend doing partial water changes. I usually just change it all, even with my filter I do it about once a week. I watch the water and when it does not appear as clear I change it. About once a month I take out all the rocks and clean them and scrub the inside of the tank with vinegar and rinse well. Then I replace it all and refill it. How often and how much water you change will depend too on how many turtles, how big they are and how big the aquarium is. I just make sure the water looks nice and clear. Remember this is their potty and their drinking water. It is one of the quickest ways for your turtle to get sick.
TurtleSue13
Level 3
Level 3

i clean the tanks about once a month. wen i say say i i mean my dad and i tell him where everything goes. lol. and like u said it is their potty and drinking water so i usually once a week or so take out like 1?3 of the water or more just to give it some new water.
sbturtlegrlz6
Level 4
Level 4

I was recently talking to the breeder of my yorkie puddle s and she used to have turtles too and her husband made a switch that emptied the turtle tank and the dirty water went into her garden and watered the plants how funni!(cepti dunno who would want to water their plants with nasty turtle water
  • Information