What so i do with a RES egg?

Here you can direct all your questions about turtle breeding and what to do about those eggs you found that your turtle laid.
britbrat

I have two red eared sliders, one male, one female. I was cleaning out the tank when I found an egg hiding behind some rocks. I have no clue how long its been there, or if the baby is even still alive. What should I do with it? Right now I have it sitting in water away from the turtles. Should there be more than one egg? I\'m really confused and concerned.
sbturtlegrlz6
Level 4
Level 4

okay most likely it is infertile turtles lay infertile eggs usually but anyway even if it isnt you need to my a nest for you female of sand and dirt in 20 gallon tank so she can then lay her eggs if this is not prepared she will hold in her eggs a nd it will cause blockage.But however you do hav a male and female so the eggs may be fertile they come in weeks and you need to set up an incubatedr if they are fertile have you noticed your turtle mating at all?
Willie
Level 3
Level 3

Chances are your egg is eithe infertile or dead. If its in water too long it will die. If you would like eggs to incubate, keep watching for your turtles to mate, when they do make sure that you female has nice, soft snad to lay her eggs in, and make sure that the sand doesn\'t have water in it. When she lays the egg then you probably know its fertile and can go forward to incubate it. Good luck,
Willie
  • Information