Hiding and Not Eating...

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
HeroicDiva
Level 2
Level 2

I just got two Red Eared Sliders the other day and I have never had a turtle before. They are both babies, about the size of a silver dollar. I have a nice little habitat set up for them...Ive got large stone gravel, a rock cave, some seashells and a little pool for them to swim in.

My problem is that in the 3 days Ive had them, they haven\'t eaten the Nutrafin Turtle Pellets Ive been feeding them, and they spend a LOT of time hiding...most the day actually. They either hide under the cave rock, or bury themselves in the gravel. I take them out of hiding and wake them up every 12 hours or so, because I want to make sure they are still alive.

I keep my apartment at about 76 degrees all the time, and I have them sitting under a flourescent desk lamp.

What do you suggest?
Im worried that they will starve or get stuck under the rocks...is this normal? I\'ve only had them 3 days, but Im very nervous.

Please help!!

Jess
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

Last edited by mariza on Sun Oct 19, 2003 6:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
HeroicDiva
Level 2
Level 2

I keep hearing contradicting things and it makes me worried that I am doing something wrong.

The guy at the pet store told me that the tank size I purchased will be big enough until the turtles are a year old.

He also told me that the gravel I chose is good...it is large, smooth stones, all at least twice as big as the turtle\'s head.

He told me that for now, the turles only need a pool the size of a TV dinner compartment...I am using a tupperware container that is roughly one inch deep, 8 inches long and 4 inches wide.

I realize that I need to get a heater or heat lamp...Im thinking I will get a heat lamp because it accomplishes two things in one. I have also heard that heated rocks are good.

I just want to know that Im doing okay...please help!!!
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

From what you`ve written, I can`t see that you`re doing anything \"OK.\" I told you above what would be good for your turtles; I don`t know what the problem is with the pet store employee, but he couldn`t be more wrong. Don`t automatically take the word of pet store employees. If you don`t want to follow advice given here, as was suggested, do a search on sliders and read about what they need.

BTW, heated rocks are for lizards, not turtles.
HeroicDiva
Level 2
Level 2

I appreciate your help...I understand that I sound stupid, but I am BRAND NEW to this. I\'ve only had my turtles for a few days and Im trying to do this right.

I am going to look into the advice that you\'ve given me, and improve my setup immediately.
sbturtlegrlz6
Level 4
Level 4

Dont worry,you\'ll get used to the whole turtle thing but in the meantime follow mariza\'s advice and look online to find some of your own this site is very useful and helpful.good luck with your babies!(by the way what are their names???)
HeroicDiva
Level 2
Level 2

LoL...their names are Penny and Lulla Belle. I got their names from songs.
HeroicDiva
Level 2
Level 2

For those who were questioning my parenting skills, I think I got it right this time :)

I provided them a bigger pool, so now the tank is about 60% water and 40% land. I got an under tank heater and placed it under the water pool. I got a uvb 100 watt basking lamp.

The tank is now about 90 degrees.

I have a food dish with turtle pellets and wheat grass...they seem much happier and more active...how does this sound?
Petunia89
Level 2
Level 2

I am only questioning the \"pool\". Aren\'t you just filling up your tank with water and providing a basking area. My tank is half-filled with water and then I have a floating island that has a suction cup to hold it to the side of the tank and a ramp for the turtles to get up on to it. I have two babies and they love to swim, and I can\'t imagine limiting their swimming area. You need to make sure there is enough water and that it is deep enough so that if they were to flip over, they could right themselves and not drown. Remember these are aquatic turtles. I am a new turtle owner also and had no idea what was involved, but this site has given me great info and my turtles are very happy now. Take a look at some of the posts that are in the turtle set up area and other sites as well, some have set up pictures posted and you will see some different tank setups to get a better idea of what these little guys need and like. I think it is so therapeutic to just sit and watch them swim around. You will get the hang of it soon. Just keep asking questions, there will always be an answer!

Good luck!
~~~LAYLA~~~
Level 3
Level 3

ive heard alot of bad stuff about heat rocks that the can burn belly of turtle actually o\\all ive heard bout them is bad
rfox
Level 3
Level 3

Unless the guy at the pet store owns a turtle of the type he/she is trying to help you with I don\'t take their word for anything. They are in the business to make a profit. I have one pet store guy that i will talk turtles with and I only believe 10% of what he says because of what Mark Twain said about newspapers when he worked for one.
HeroicDiva
Level 2
Level 2

The guy said that he owned two red eared sliders...so that is why I believed him
shelngav
Level 3
Level 3

Unfortunately just because someone owns a pet it doesnt mean they know how to care for it. But I would have been inclined to believe that he knew what he was talking about. Turtles can be expensive, as they must be cared for properly. Mine was $6.00 from a street vendor, which by the way was illegal. I have probably spent about $200.00 total. I had to take him to the vet because he got a respiratory infection. With winter coming you need to be sure your setup is ok to help prevent that. Drafts are bad for babies. I went home with no info on my turtle and started searching google and have saved several links for future use and research. I will give them to you and you can search for more. My com keeps freezing so I will send them after this.
shelngav
Level 3
Level 3

http://www.tortoise.org/ There is info for turtles on here as well.
http://reslider.free.fr/
http://www.web.ms11.net/happyturtle/
http://www.anapsid.org/reslider.html
http://www.beltonanimalclinic.com/res_turtle.htm
http://www.resoasis.com/
http://www.freewebs.com/sliderville/
It NEVER hurts to have too much info. I always compare what everyone has to say, as sometimes they will differ. Then I make an informed decision.
I wish you much luck! Just go to google and research, research, research!
shelngav
Level 3
Level 3

By the way...the 200.00 wasnt for the vet. That was about 55.00 total. It is a good idea now, before there is a prob, to find a vet in your area that cares for turtles. I was not thrilled with the first I went to but found a great one after that.
HeroicDiva
Level 2
Level 2

Im starting to realize that Ive gotten into much more than i was prepared for. I also bought my turtles from a street vendor in Chinatown...and I figured that they would be easy to care for. The turtles were kept in a cardboard box and given to me in a tiny plastic cage...I figured that they\'d be an easy, short term pet.

I love my turtles and Im going to do everything I can to get good information and care for them properly.

Ive already spent almost 100 dollars on their supplies, and Im being told what Im doing is wrong. Last night, my heat lamp broke and I have to go take it back.

As a poor college student, this is frustrating and disheartening. I could never give up on these turtles, and Im going to care for them properly, but it is both difficult and expensive.

I appreciate all the help that everyone is giving me. Hopefully I\'ll get this right and my turtles will be happy and healthy.
HeroicDiva
Level 2
Level 2

Well now I have a new problem! I rearranged my tank yet again to make it so that it is a LOT more water...I filled the tank with water and created a slope up to a basking spot with river stones...and they seem to like it.

The problem is...all of a sudden, they aren\'t getting along. They\'ll swim past each other and nip at eachother, or try to bite each others foot.

Im really concerned that they\'ll hurt eachother.

Help!
Jessica
Petunia89
Level 2
Level 2

Mine did this also, it lasted about a week and it has stopped. The only thing they do now is go nose to nose and stare at each other and flutter their hands until one backs off. Just keep an eye on them so they don\'t get too aggressive, it just might be the change. I am glad you filled the tank with water. It will be so neat to watch them swim now. Let us know how it goes.
shelngav
Level 3
Level 3

The biting problem may or may not stop. The fluttering that petunia89 speaks of is a mating ritual and the male often will become aggressive with a female. The more room they have the better. Hopefully it will stop. Many people buy these and get no info and think of them as disposable pets like goldfish, but they can live for 30-50 years. I am glad you are trying to work it out. If you can\'t be sure to get them to someone you feel can afford and care for them. Sometimes there are ways of keeping the cost down some so watch for posts. Good luck!
  • Information