Feeding question

Discussions about turtles.
Petunia89
Level 2
Level 2

Should I be feeding my babies once or twice a day? I have been feeding them twice a day, crickets in the morning and pellets in the evening...I see conflicting info in some of the books which say to feed young turtles twice a day, but it seems like everyone here does it once a day. Any info would be gladly appreciated!!
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

About the only place I`ve seen it recommended that a hatchling (up to a year) be fed more than once a day is on containers of turtle pellets. I would feed them once a day (pellets or whatever) and have some veggies or aquatic plants (better because they can just stay in the water) as well as cuttlebone freely available for them to much on.
Petunia89
Level 2
Level 2

Thanks Mariza!!! So should I cut out the evening meal and just feed them their main course in the morning so that they will have the day to digest it? Would you recommend alternating the pellets and crickets or give both at the same time? I am going to get them some plants and they always have cuttlebone. Thanks again, you are a lifesaver!!!
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

People seem to feed at different times, but I`ve read it`s better to feed a turtle earlier in the day than later. Feeding it in the morning would encourage a turtle to bask (needs warmth to digest its food properly), and it would have more opportunity to bask if fed in the morning. Also, morning feeding gives it all day to work off some of the calories (less chance to get fat). You might want to vary the diet with more than just crickets. Take a look at http://www.turtlepuddle.org/health/turtlefood.html for some ideas.
  • Information