Turtle wont bask.

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
m1key72988
Level 3
Level 3

When my turtle was sick she basked none stop. even at night when its cool. But now that shes better i havent seen her bask in almost a week. i did make the water lvl higher this time, do u think thats why. when the water was half the height she would bask alot. is this bad that she wont bask. the water lvls almost always aroung 80-82 and i have the water heater set at 78. could some one help me on this problem.
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

You said the water heater is set at 78F but the water level(?) is at 80-82 F? (I assume you checked with a thermometer.)If the water is that warm, what`s the temp. of the basking area?

If the basking area temp. is not sufficiently warmer than the water, a turtle has little incentive to bask. It sounds like this could be happening in your case. Try lowering the water temp. a bit to 80F (if she`s healthy now, it should be OK) and having the basking area temp. in the high 80`s-90F. See if that doesn`t encourage her to bask more.

Also, could she be basking when you`re not around and you just don`t know it?
m1key72988
Level 3
Level 3

Actually when i cleaned the tank. i lowerd the water lvl and they started basking, but when i added more water they wont bask ne more. I have to keep the water at the lvl its at b/c i have 2 filters going, and it keeps the water real clear. the water lvl is about 80. and i have a real strong heat lamp so i am definatly sure that it is warmer than the water. so i have come to the conclusion that its the height of the water.
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

Does the increased depth of the water make it more difficult for them to get on the basking area? If not, I don`t see how the deeper water would keep them from basking. They seek warmth, whether or not the water is deep. The basking area should just be \"warmer\"--there should be a clear contrast between the water and basking area temps. It would be good to check with a thermometer if you haven`t done so.
  • Information