Heat lamp

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
cmo553
Level 1
Level 1

Are we suppose to keep the heat lamp on 24 hours? or turn it off during the day? Just wondering.
sbturtlegrlz6
Level 4
Level 4

Depends what kind you have average time is 12 hrs.
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

Are you talking heatlamp as in red heat lamp, which provides no light and can be on 24/7 or are you talking about a basking light, which is used along with a UVB light to warm the basking area to 85-90F for an average of 12 hours a day?

If the room your turtle is in is not a constant temp. of around 75F at all times, I would use a red-heat light to keep the air in the tank warm 24/7. If the room is sufficiently warm, I would have the basking light on as noted above. (Your turtles need darkness to sleep.)
cmo553
Level 1
Level 1

Ok, I have the heat with UVB light. I\'ve been keeping it one 24/7. If I should have it on for an average of 12 hours, would it be best to have it on during the evenings and off during the day? Or other way around? It doesn\'t get too cold in my home at all.

mariza wrote:
Are you talking heatlamp as in red heat lamp, which provides no light and can be on 24/7 or are you talking about a basking light, which is used along with a UVB light to warm the basking area to 85-90F for an average of 12 hours a day?

If the room your turtle is in is not a constant temp. of around 75F at all times, I would use a red-heat light to keep the air in the tank warm 24/7. If the room is sufficiently warm, I would have the basking light on as noted above. (Your turtles need darkness to sleep.)
~~~LAYLA~~~
Level 3
Level 3

i turn mine off at night lol partly cuz there tank in my room but i think they sleep better w/ it off at night too
  • Information