Feeding?

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
Ryanyde
Level 1
Level 1

I\'ve got a couple of feeding questions.

I\'ve got 2 2-3 Inch Baby RES.

The first question is, what should I feed them?

I\'ve been feeding them Reptomin Sticks basically as a staple, with some treats thrown in in between.
Is that alright? What else should I feed them? And how much? I throw in about 8 pellets a piece twice a day, and they ALWAYS munch it up quickly. Is it possible to overfeed?
And is that enough calcium? I don\'t think so because one of them is getting a pretty soft shell on the bottom, and I don\'t know of any reptile vets around my area. Is there any way to treat this? How dangerous is soft shell to the turtle?

Any responses would be great.
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

Last edited by mariza on Tue Oct 14, 2003 1:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ryanyde
Level 1
Level 1

Wow, I didn\'t know that, I must be overfeeding them a lot... I guess that would be about 4 pellets daily (if I understood you right). I have almost the entire tank covered in a 3% UVB light that\'s about 6-8 inches off the top of the tank. Right now I don\'t have a heat lamp per se, but I do have a 75 Watt Lamp on one side of the tank near a rock that seems to generate heat.

Okay, well I haven\'t been feeding them much calcium at all. I guess I\"ll go out and get some cuttlebone ASAP. Will the soft shell heal itself over time as I give them more calcium?

Also, is it healthy to just stop feeding them as much? Like we figured out, I\'ve been overfeeding them, will the sudden lack of food (in comparison) effect them?

Thanks for all of your help.
poddys
Level 1
Level 1

We must definitely be overfeeding our 3 Map turtles then - have been giving them at least 10 pellets each every evening.

The other concern I have is that when we put a Tetra Turtle Health Conditioner (white turtle shaped block) in the tank they immediately head for it and start to munch on it. I can\'t see anywhere that it says they can eat it. Hope it\'s ok!
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

Ryanyde, a 75-watt lightbulb is fine as a heating source. You don`t need to spend money on a special basking bulb.

The condition can be corrected without the need for a vet depending on how advanced the disease is. Increasing the calcium, cutting down on foods with phorphorus, and basking under a UVB light and heat source should work to reverse it. (3% UVB is not very much, and the water your turtle is swimming in is filtering out more of the UVB rays as well.)

I don`t think decreasing the amount of food is going to hurt them, especially since they`ve been overeating. They will always beg. Give them some veggies if they do. If they`re really hungry, they`ll eat them, especially if you don`t give in to them with other food.

Poddys, those turtle blocks are not really worth it. Your turtles are eating them because they`re looking for calcium. The form of calcium that`s in them is not one that turtle`s can most easily absorb. And if there`s sulfa in them, your turtles could build up a resistance to it with long term use (like antibiotics taken by people). The cuttlebone would be much better for them as a calcium supplement.
Ryanyde
Level 1
Level 1

Alright, I went out and found some calcium and put in the cuttlebone (in fairly small pieces) and they ate it up very quickly. Now my question is that can I overfeed them with cuttlebone too? Or should I give them as much as they\'ll take?

Secondly, the reason I got the 3% was that the 5% UVB light is 20$ more which is more than I have now. Is that extra 2% worth it? Are there even more percentages?

A couple of unrelated things, if I want to see my turtle at night, is it alright to leave a blacklight on? Does a blacklight give them UVB rays?
As for veggies what type should I feed them?

Finally, how hot should I keep the tank and what type of heater should I buy?

Thanks for all your help, as of now, I plan on getting a bigger tank as soon as I can and a new filter, which won\'t be for a while.

But can anyone recommend a good filter? My fluval 15 gal one doesn\'t seem to do a very good job at all...
  • Information