Lighting?

Discussions about turtles.
shai631
Level 3
Level 3

I finally got my turtles their basking lamp, only problem is I don\'t know what\'s what in the world of lighting. I went to the pet store and told them that I needed a basking light for my 2 RES turtles, and they gave me a 100 W Infrared Heat Lamp by Exo Terra.

Is the Infrared lamp what the turtles need? I already have a heater in the tank, and I told the pet store guy that, but this is the light he gave me. He told me to never disconnect it and that it\'ll last for a year.

What do you all think, is this the right light?
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

They need a UVB light as well as a light for a heat source (can be a regular lightbulb). Does the light you bought emit UVB rays? If not, you didn`t get the right light. If you`re confused about lighting, please read http://www.tortoisetrust.org/articles/lighting.html
sbturtlegrlz6
Level 4
Level 4

btw I have a submersible heater and a uvb light do i still need an extra clamp for a heat light?
rfox
Level 3
Level 3

The heat lamp still needs to be clamped on so that the basking area stays warm.
shai631
Level 3
Level 3

I got a 60 W ExoTerra Neodymium Daylight Lamp which has UVA rays. When I connected it though, it looked a LOT like any other lighbulb. If this really does have UVA rays, is there any kind of precaution that we should be taking with the light?
  • Information