question on a turtle that i bought down town la

You can chat about non-pet topics here! Be courteous to others and keep it clean!
cheetomunchie
Level 1
Level 1

can any body help me i bought a red slider turtle down town los angeles but i did not know they were illegal. he is bout 2-4 inches will he/she grow any bigger i have had him since april and he only grew a little bit.
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

It was illegal for the seller to have sold him to you, not for you to own him. (Don`t worry.) How much has he grown since you got him? What is his set-up like? What are you feeding him, how much and how often?
cheetomunchie
Level 1
Level 1

right now he has a small tank with rocks. i clean and change his water everyday. i feed him a couple of pellets or turtle food and also some dried shrimp. the people at the pet store told me that he is to young for feeder fish. i do not know how much he has grown but a few centemeter or so i guess. He is really active I let him come out to play every otherday.
mariza wrote:
It was illegal for the seller to have sold him to you, not for you to own him. (Don`t worry.) How much has he grown since you got him? What is his set-up like? What are you feeding him, how much and how often?
m1key72988
Level 3
Level 3

Well my baby res love feeder fish, and there only a couple months old. the size of the turtle doesnt matter as long as it can catch and eat the fish, i wouldnt recomend puttin to many feeder fish in the tank at once they eat them all. The people at the petstore also told me that my turtle was breathing and foaming from its mouth b.c it was to hot when it was really sick. i dont think they know that much actually.
Last edited by m1key72988 on Sun Oct 12, 2003 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sbturtlegrlz6
Level 4
Level 4

i have eight babies and have been told countless times that i can get arrested so i know ppl on this site say there only illegal to sell i have been told countless times otherwise.
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

Feeder fish should not be a staple of the diet, they should be a treat to add variety to the diet. Guppies and minnows are better than goldfish.

Do you have a UVB light besides the basking light? It is important for growth as well.

Petstore people often don`t know that much and their job is to sell. Don`t automatically believe what most of them say.
cheetomunchie
Level 1
Level 1

I have a desk lamp that i leave on in the night time. my house if very warm so i do not want to fry him. I have not feed him guppies or feederfish yet. i do give him lettuce dried shrimp and pellets. He seems to like the veggie pellets better than the meat ones. his tank is small right now because he is small. but i do have a 50 gallon tank ready when he gets a little bigger. Should i put a filter in the tank with him. i appriciate all the advice thank you.

mariza wrote:
Feeder fish should not be a staple of the diet, they should be a treat to add variety to the diet. Guppies and minnows are better than goldfish.

Do you have a UVB light besides the basking light? It is important for growth as well.

Petstore people often don`t know that much and their job is to sell. Don`t automatically believe what most of them say.
shelngav
Level 3
Level 3

Last edited by shelngav on Wed Oct 29, 2003 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shelngav
Level 3
Level 3

sbturtlegrlz6 wrote:
i have eight babies and have been told countless times that i can get arrested so i know ppl on this site say there only illegal to sell i have been told countless times otherwise.
I would check that out with the fish and game or other authorities. The reason that law came into effect was to prevent the spread of salmonella in the 70\'s when people were buying RES left and right and children would put them in their mouth. To prevent this they made a law to not sell them if under 4 inches. I mean if you had two turtles that mated and they had babies are they gonna arrest you? Many people are ignorant. Just like the pet store people.
  • Information