3 legged, 3 Toed Box Turtle

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
NurseSindee

Early this spring my son found what we now know is a Three Toed Box Turtle. Only, when he found it... it had just 3 legs. We arent sure what happened to the other leg. The missing leg is a rear leg, therefore she cannot dig.

We kept her because she had so many problems. We made a place outside for her and gave her a tiny dog house to use as shelter. We also had some river cooters in a small pond and we put her with them. She had an area where she could get into the shallow pond with them, but the land area was larger than the water.

She would find a way of turning herself on her side constantly! We had to remove all rocks, except the ones in the water because she would find a way to flip herself over. We had to keep piling up dirt to help her get up over the 1 inch high step to get into the doghouse. She would even get herself turned upside down, or on her side in the water. It is very sad to go feed the turtle and see her laying there on her side. She seems so helpless and I am unsure how she made it in the wild.

I guess we will bring her in the house now that fall is here. I guess I will have to put her in a plastic tote or something.

Also she layed about 5 eggs. I am not sure if they just lay them without being around a male or if the 2 days she spent with the guy that climbed out of the cage caused it. She smashed most of the eggs and the others kinda got pushed into the pond.

Has anyone out there had any experience with anything like this? What can be done about a 3 legged turtle?
m1key72988
Level 3
Level 3

All i know is that box turtles arnt very good swimmers and can drown if the waters to deep, you could try a water bowl with a ramp. i dont have a box turtle so i dont much about them.
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

Hope this helps.
Last edited by mariza on Thu Oct 09, 2003 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  • Information