my turtles eatings

Discussions about turtles.
spky02

i got a baby turtle and a adult turtle my father brought home a baby red ear slider i been feeding him reptile food for like month and a half and his eyes stared to get bigger and if leave him in a dark box his eyes close up about 1weeks ago i got the bigger turtle but he wouldn\'t come out his shell when i got the big turtle i also got a turtle book and i read that if a baby turtle eyes start to swell is because he isn\'t getting alot of vitamin a so i tried giving him other foods but he just wont eat it can some one help me
Last edited by spky02 on Thu Oct 09, 2003 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
cajohnson
Level 2
Level 2

why are you letting him in a dark box? he is a water turtle, you need to set up an aquarium with water, and a land area, he needs a light for basking, and you should be feeding him turtle food if he is a baby they do have hatchling food, Zoo Med makes it,you need a filter in the water also. Someone can go into more detail with you if you really dont know how to do this but let someone know. he has to be in water!!!!!! do not put him in a dark box, he needs light.
Abby
Level 2
Level 2

If they are baby RES they need to be in a 20 gallon aquarium at least. The water should be at a minumum as deep as their shells so if they flip over they can turn over on their own. If not it can harm them. The water should not be extremely deep either b/c they can drown from exhaustion from threading water. The water should be kept at 80 degrees farenheit as well. You will need a basking area so the can dry and bask at their leisure. You\'ll need UVA & UVB lighting so they can absorb calcium. This will keep their shells healthy and it will stimulate their appetite and benefit their digestive system. Clean their tank weekly. You can get water conditioner at the local pet shop and turtle disposal tank cleaner as well. I hope this helps. Feel free to email me if you need more specifics or further details. Good luck. Regards, Abby
sbturtlegrlz6
Level 4
Level 4

yea you need more things such as for a baby a twenty gallon tank,baby reptile food reptmin makes a good kind a sub.heater and a uvb /uva light and a basking area.how big is this adult turtle? what are they in now?
  • Information