Many Questions

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
Ryanyde
Level 1
Level 1

I haven\'t posted here for awhile, but I posted back earlier talking about 2 RES my friend gave me...

Well, since they\'re small I\'ve got them in a tank that\'s 10x20x12.5 (inches)... That\'s the biggest tank I can obtain, and I hope it\'s big enough... The turtles are small and about 2.25 inches long (shell).

I have a small 15 gallon tank Fluval Filter in there and a pretty nice UVB Lamp (3% I think). I\'ve used water softeners (takes out chlorine ammonias, creates protective slime). For heat, I have a normal 75 watt bulb in a lamp that\'s placed up against the glass near a rock on top of 2 bricks (a makeshift beach).

Now some questions:

One of their shells seems to be getting a darker green than before, and the underbody has a whitist tint and is not terribly soft, but softer than it was before. Is this normal or should I get it checked out by the vet? The shell thing is the main thing bothering me.

Secondly, how important is a water heater, as I don\'t have much money and would only get it if it\'s essential.

Third, how much should I feed him now that he\'s that size, and how often?

Is the tank big enough?

Is there anything else I should be monitoring? And any other suggestions/essential facts would be useful, since I don\'t have much time to browse around being a senior.

Thanks for you help
crckhead654
Level 2
Level 2

i think the tank is big enough for now but you will need a bigger one if you want them to grow im pretty sure the green is just him getting his natural colors but the white might be a disease or something else, is it sort of cottony or he might be developing softshell but im not an expert also i dont have a heater but thats because my water doesnt feel too cold and my lamp seems to heat the water a bit there are others that could probably help more
m1key72988
Level 3
Level 3

If the tank waters not staying at a constant rate than you might need a heater. Adult turtles need there water around 74-78 degreese and baby turtles need there water temp a little higher at about 78-82 degreese. i keep my tank at a constant 85 degreese because my turtle just got over a sickness.
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

Up to a year, feed daily. After that every other day. Aquatic plants and leafy green veggies (excluding iceberg lettuce, spinach, cabbage and broccoli) should be freely available. Vegggies with beta carotene (for Vit A) like carrots, squash, pumpkin, red bell peppers are also good. Portion size for pellets should be an amount that would fit into the head, not including the neck. HTH
Last edited by mariza on Thu Oct 09, 2003 1:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ryanyde
Level 1
Level 1

Well, it\'s houston here so it gets hot during the day and cooler at night, the water feels pretty cold sometimes to the touch, so I\'d feel much comfortable with a heater. As for the UVB lamp, there are no barriers and it is no more than six inches on the top of the tank.

As for diet, I shouldn\'t just feed them Reptomin sticks? Where can I get \"cuttlebone\" and how much should I put in? Anything else I should be feeding him?
m1key72988
Level 3
Level 3

Last edited by m1key72988 on Thu Oct 09, 2003 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
crckhead654
Level 2
Level 2

yes im reading my friends res is small and hes had it for 2 years and it hasnt grown so im pretty sure size of container affects growth but maybe im wrong
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

A RES that`s fed a healthy, balanced diet and provided with other basics (correct lighting, temps, etc.) will grow no matter what size container it`s in. If you friend`s RES is healthy and he`s treating it right, it could have a slow growth rate. If not, something else is responsible for the small size, and it`s not the container.
Last edited by mariza on Thu Oct 09, 2003 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
crckhead654
Level 2
Level 2

that is strange well all they feed it is sticks and crickets but he is a very agressive turtle besides that they got it in the wild
  • Information