problem with my turtle

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
barbiej

i have a red headed slider and i checked him this morning and he is foaming from the mouth (can\'t be good) He is not eating at all and i\'m worried. What do i do ?
he lives inside and is generally very active. he is not real active and seems to be gasping for air?????
preciousbabihien
Level 2
Level 2

that is actually a disease. I read it somewhere but I can\'t seem to find it. I will get back to you right away! Go see the vet
m1key72988
Level 3
Level 3

This also happend with my turtle here is my post, read what mariza has to say it helped my turtle get better fast.

http://www.allturtles.com/msgboard/view ... picID=2644

hope this helps.
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

How long has he been like this? He has a respiratory infection. A herp vet would be best, but if you can`t get him to one, follow the instructions given to Mlkey72988. Read the link he gave you. If you follow them and your turtle doesn`t improve, he will need the herp vet. Let us know how your turtle is doing.
Last edited by mariza on Wed Oct 08, 2003 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shelngav
Level 3
Level 3

Well, my turtle stopped leaning to the side like he was and I thought he was ok. The vet didnt see anything. But this morning he is gaping and I saw some fluid at his mouth. He doesn\'t look like he got in the water at all last night. I found him on his rocks this am. I did increase the water temp again. How long should I wait before taking him in to the vet? I just started seeing symptoms this am.
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

Last edited by mariza on Tue Oct 14, 2003 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
shelngav
Level 3
Level 3

Thanks Mariza. He is eating alright, but not as voraciously as before. I think I will just take him to the vet and be sure he doesn\'t get a Vit A shot. He gets plenty I am sure with the calcium powder and his UVA light is on for a min of 12 hours a day. I will post what happens. Thanks again.
Shelley
shelngav
Level 3
Level 3

I took Herman to the vet yesterday. Boy he looks awful first thing in the morning. He stays out of the water all night. After he gets wet he looks better, but he is definitely sick. He didnt look bad at the vet, but based on my description she said he needed antbiotics. So he got a shot :( and will continue a series of 5 shots evry other day. It is just antibiotic. She recommended changing the water every other day as well since it is an infection. Something interesting too is that she wants a feces sample as it could be parasites causing the infection. I sure hope not. I should have just stuck to the reptomin at this age maybe and not given the fish. It was good he was still eating, but this AM he hasnt touched food yet. I hope he starts to improve. I will keep you all posted. I asked about dry tanking him and she didn\'t recommend it. I am afraid he is getting dehydrated as it is. He only gets in to get wet and gets right back out. She says she has treated many pond turtles and they do fine left in the pond. It is just necessary they have a place to get out. It appears that Herman has found that is best for him and spends most of the time basking. Fingers Crossed! Shelley
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

Is the medication Baytril? The meds may be affecting his appetite.
shelngav
Level 3
Level 3

She didn\'t tell me what the name of the antibiotic was, but his lack of enthusiasm started before the meds. He has eaten all he usually would today, he is just not as apt to run for it. He looks somewhat better this afternoon. I will take him in again in the morning for his next shot. I also will be changing his tank. I am thinking of just getting rid of the rosies. I am hoping they haven\'t given him parasites. She said if the turtle gets parasites they will get recurring RIs. It is difficult to find his feces, but she wanted a sample to check. I feel so bad, she says the shots hurt. I know that it is for the best though.
  • Information