URGENT question...

Not sure what kind of turtle you have? Come in and ask the turtle community.
hellakornhaus
Level 1
Level 1

I just found a turtle outside of my house. It is a very small (young) turtle. At first sight, I thought it was a snapping turtle. However, after looking at a picture of a snapping turtle on the internet I have come to the conclusion that it isn\'t a snapping turtle that I have come across. Here is that it looks like, from what I remember...

It has a black VERY ridgid shell (almost looks like it has points on the tips of it\'s shell), it has a pointy nose/mouth, VERY long tail, and have long sharp clays. As I said before, the turtle is quite small, I would guess only about an inch or a little more in length, and the tail was just as long as the entire turtle. I have never seen a turtle with a long tail. I didn\'t have my digitl camera with me, so I wasn\'t able to take a picture of it.

If anyone knows what type of turtle I have just found, please let me know RIGHT away. I have two red eared sliders right now. I have given the \"mystery\" turtle some of the RES food. With hopes that is eats some of it. The \"mystery\" turtle looked pretty beat up, so I thought I would feed it a little bit.

PLEASE HELP!

Thanks!

Scott Kornhaus
preciousbabihien
Level 2
Level 2

try feeding it fruits and vegetables instead of res food. I\'m sorry I don\'t know what your turtle is but it sounds like a snapper to me to =/
hellakornhaus
Level 1
Level 1

I just looked pictures up on the internet, and I have just found a \"Common Snapping Turtle\". Luckily I have found a young/baby turtle. However, if the baby is near, I am SURE the mommy and daddy are VERY near by!

Do you all suggest that I keep it and just feed it crickets and vegetables every once in a while, or should I get ride of it before it is too late?

Let me know!

Thanks!

Scott Kornhaus
aoVI

I have heard with most wild turtles, it is best to release as soon as possible (or as soon as healthy) and nearby where you found him, if it resembles the species normal habitat.

I have also heard some people say as long as you don\'t expose him to your captive animals, there was no harm in keeping him a few months to fatten a snapper hatchling up a bit before returning him.

Anyone know for certain which, or if both, are correct?

Either way I wouldn\'t put him in with your res....
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

I have heard similar information to yours. However, if you take a hatchling, keep it and feed it for two months, that hatchling would not have developed the skills it needs to survive and to me, it would best be kept and not released. If an older/injured turtle were found and nursed back to health with the idea of releasing it in a few months, to me that would be OK.

In any event, don`t put him with the RES.
~~~LAYLA~~~
Level 3
Level 3

i dunno but could it be an alligator snapping turtle?
  • Information