question about my res

Post any questions you have about a turtle indoor setup here. Or if you have a link to your indoor setup picture we would love to see it.
turtlelover4ever

i had a question ive had my res since febuary i got him when he was a baby he was the size of a quarter. My friend said she would give me another res baby so mine could have a friend. I didnt know if this was a good idea or not. Would my turtle now get jealous of a new turtle? do they like other turtles? I dont know what to do so any help would be appreciated. Thanks
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

Some people do keep more than one turtle and many have no problems doing so. Having said that, turtles do not need \"friends\" and can do quite nicely by themselves (with you as their friend to provide proper care). You never know if they will get alone or not. Some get alone fine when babies, then problems arise as they grow. RES are territorial and can get agressive if the space they`re in is too small. Another one will mean getting a bigger tank/container fairly soon, even if they small now. Reading some of the other posts by people who are experiencing problems with keeping more than one turtle would be good to do.

The decision is yours, but if you do get a second one, it should be quarantined for a least 90 days to make sure it doesn`t have anything yours could catch. A new turtle should be of comparable size to the one you have to lessen the chance of bullying. And your tank/container should be big enough for both of them (think 10 gallons of water per inch of shell, front to back. Two 1.5 inch turtles should ideally be in a 30-gallon tank/container. Bigger is better because they will grow fast if properly taken care of. Hope this helps with your decision.
crckhead654
Level 2
Level 2

you could get another as was already said it is your choice i have two one is 5 1/2 inches front to back of shell and the other is 4 1/2 they get along great and do everything together what i do is just think if i were the turtle what would i want...good luck...i have had mine sice july so hope if u get another they have fun and get along

My RES likes other turtles. I have two other turtles in with him. I think he likes it because he thinks that the dating game is fun.
sbturtlegrlz6
Level 4
Level 4

if i were you and had the space i would get him my turtle mac needed afriend so i bought reese then i thought they should adopt kids so i bought 8 babies and then reese and mac looked bored wit eachother and i was the proud owner of spree.
  • Information