I think my turtles going to shed his schutes

Discussions about turtles.
m1key72988
Level 3
Level 3

Well today i was looking at my turtles shell really closely and i couls see the newer and bigger schutes already formed, the old schutes were kinda siting on top of the new ones looking transparent. On the plastron the old ones were definatly transparent and i could see the same desighn on the new schutes except double the size. I have had my turtle for about 4 months now and he sheds alot i dont know if its because the temperature of the water or if i am feeding him to much. The temp is about between 80-85 degrees because she just got over being sick. Also i feed her about 4 pellets a day and my brothers res squirt about 2 pellets a day. when i got the 2 res they were the same exact size. since than Myrtle has sheded 2 times and has doubled squirt in size. squirt hasnt grown even a milimeter. We got them at a fleamarket in Chinatown, could this be why squirts not growing. Also when we got them Mytles shell looked a little damage but as her new schutes come in there is not more damage on them and they look brand new. i cant wait to see what she looks like with her new schutes.
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

When my turtle shed his scutes the first time he looked like a new turtle. The shedding could be a combination of the warm temp. and growth. If the 4 pellets are bigger than your turtle`s head, cut back a little. Try veggies and aquatic plants if you haven`t already.
m1key72988
Level 3
Level 3

I have ancharis in the tank at all times, i have tried feeding him carrots and grapes, but he wont touch anything not event he ancaris.
preciousbabihien
Level 2
Level 2

If you have pellets that you feed him then stick the pellets in a bannana, grape, or any vegetable. Your turtle will be attractive to the scent and eat it. Do that for a couple of days and then don\'t put pellets in them at all.
m1key72988
Level 3
Level 3

Thats a good idea i might try that. Also since they eat out of my hands i can cut things the shape and the size of the pellets and hand feed it to them.
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

You could also rub something smelly like sardines or tuna (packed in water) on the veggie to get them to eat it. Give banana only occasionally--its very high in phosphorus. Too much phosphorus prevents calcium from being absorbed (and your turtle gets it from any animal matter already).
Last edited by mariza on Mon Oct 06, 2003 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
m1key72988
Level 3
Level 3

Can the turtle eat tuna for a treat or somthing like once a month. That would be a good treat and i use tuna alot for food so i could rub some on the veggies whenever i give them to her, i always got like 10 cans of tuna laying around.
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

It`s not the best thing to give her. Even the tuna packed in water has salt (and other additives?) in it. And, it`s high-protein food. If she`s eating a really healthy diet (including plant matter/veggies), though, a little big now and then wouldn`t hurt her. But not as a staple, only very occasionally. If you do give her some, I would rinse it off well to get out as much salt and other stuff as possible.
m1key72988
Level 3
Level 3

right now she is really shedding like i have never seen her shed before. but she has grown alot on the months that i have had her.
Do you know how long (estimate) it takes to shed there schutes. It looks like she is going to shed them real soon. But right now she is shedding lots of skin, it looks weird even though its natural.
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

Can`t really say how long shedding the scutes will take. They often come off within a fairly short time of each other, though. Don`t try to pull them off, let them come off naturally.
Last edited by mariza on Thu Oct 09, 2003 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
m1key72988
Level 3
Level 3

I know not to pull them off, but it could be the temp thats making her shed alot, ill move it down today. Thanks for the input.
  • Information