staying in the water.......

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
turtletime4

I have a red ear slider ...this is my first turtle and I have learned alot from this board! thanks,
My turtle has not been getting out of the water. The first night or 2 he got out and sat on the rocks, but now he stays in the water all the time, I never see him out of it. Whats up with him? Thanks!
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

How long have you had him? Are you sure he doesn`t get out of the water when you`re not around? What`s the temp. of the water and basking area? There should be a clear contrast between the two. Water temp. of 76-78F, basking temp. of 85F to high 80`s (about a 10 degree difference) would be good. If the basking area is no sufficiently warmer than the water, a turtle has little incentive to get out and bask.
preciousbabihien
Level 2
Level 2

I thought my turtles never went out of the water either. Sometimes I sleep and wake up in the middle of the night and take a peek at them, I notice they were basking. When I got up they ran and swam back into the water. Or whenever I go outside they go on the land and when I come back in they scatter onto the water. =]
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

Do you keep the lights on all night for them? If you do, you shouldn`t. They need to sleep and should have day/night cycles like we do.
turtletime4

thanks for the help.
I have only had him for about a week.
I bought a ligth that is supposed to be good for night time......thanks...I will double check the temperatures......
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

If you`ve only had him a week, he may just need more time to feel comfortable to come out of the water to bask. Is he eating?
preciousbabihien
Level 2
Level 2

Yes, if you got your turtle a while ago, your turtle may be scared or not use to the enviorment you placed them in. It might take a while for your turtle to get use to your house.
  • Information