My turtle not afraid of me any more.

Discussions about turtles.
m1key72988
Level 3
Level 3

I had heard that people like to feed there turtle from there hands so i thought i might try this method. My turtle loves it and it helped her get over being afraid of me. I dont hold her b/c she hates it but she is a little begger and so is my brothers turtle squirt. She seems to like me alot better when i dont hold her unless nessacary.
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

Different turtles have different personalities and some tolerate being held more than others. But all turtles like food...(Glad to hear she`s doing well.)
btrikemia
Level 1
Level 1

When you feed the turtles by hand, do you actually hold the food in your hand and they don\'t bite you? I am an owner of two RES\'s and I would like to know what I can and can\'t do when it comes to \"playing\" with them.

Thanks
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

I hold the pellet (or whatever) between my index finger and thumb just a little over his head in the water. He opens his mouth, rises a little and takes it back into the water to eat. Sometimes he tries to take part of my finger with it, but for the most part his aim is good. And he`s so used to taking food from my hands that even when I put it in the water, he cranes his neck waiting for me to feed it to him. I sometimes have to give his head a gentle nudge into the water so he can smell the food and eat it. And sometimes when I`ve got my hand in the tank arranging something, he thinks my fingers are a snack. :)
sbturtlegrlz6
Level 4
Level 4

well i would be too afraid of my turtles biting me but maybe i\'ll try it with my babies.
m1key72988
Level 3
Level 3

Actually i do what mariza does, i hold it between my index finer and my thumb. My pellets are pretty big and my turtle is just a baby, he not big enough to get the whole pellet and my finger in one bite. My pellets are like this long ------ and my turtles head is this long ------- ita about the same size so i dont worry about her biteing me.
  • Information