How do you tell male from female?

Discussions about turtles.
turtledimond

We Have 2 1year old red ear turtles and When We first got them (they were babys) the store clerk told us which was the male and which was female, But now We\'re not to sure she was right because the female is way bigger just like when we got her but now as the year went by her claws are really long. I thought the males were suppose to have longer claws? And the one we thought was the male is still small and, well we just don\'t know how else to tell them apart. I now the bottom of their shells are suppose to have a curve to it if it\'s the male but they both don\'t really have a very noticeable one to determine if they are or not.
sbturtlegrlz6
Level 4
Level 4

you cant tell male from female until they are at least 4 years old males have a longer fatter tail and long nails females have short nails and short skinny tails
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

If your turtles` shells are about 4 inches in length, you should be able to have a good idea of who`s what. The male will have/be getting long spiky front claws (really long), a thick broad tail and an anal vent closer to its tip. The female`s nails won`t be noticeably longer and she will have a smaller, thin tail with the anal vent closer to the shell/body. Females grow ultimately larger than males. The concave plastron would be more apparent when they are older.
The clerk would not be able to tell what sex they were when they were babies.
turtledimond

Thank you very much Now I think we\'ll wait until they get older and then we can tell them apart more easily. Well you and this web sight have really saved us from going out an buying anything else (we don\'t really need) or going to a Vet for more info on our turtles. Here, where we live, it\'s very hard to find anyone or books that know everything we need to know about looking after our turtles the right way. There\'s alot of things that we didn\'t know that we know now and I bet our turtles are happy too. Thanks Again
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

You`re welcome. Don`t forget you can always look up info on the web. (You might find varying opinions, but that`s when it`s good to ask questions here.)
  • Information