Baby RES leaning to the right

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
shelngav
Level 3
Level 3

I have seen posts about leaning, but none seemed to fit mine so maybe someone can help. Herman has been doing great. His shell is hardening, he eats well, he swims all over. I checked on him tonight and he was sleeping right next to the heater, which I dont think I have seen before. Later he was swimming around, but leaning to the right. He isn\'t gaping, no mucus and appears healthy otherwise. Is this something I should be concerned with? Should I wait to see if symptoms develop or take him to the vet right away? I am warming the water back up to 80-82. I had it like that but thought it might be a bit much and have had it at 78 for about a week. He does have a basking area and I believe it is 85+. If anyone has experience that may help let me know please!
Shelley
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

Last edited by mariza on Thu Oct 02, 2003 2:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
shelngav
Level 3
Level 3

He just started it last night. I had mentioned to my husband a couple days ago about RI and the tilting. He tends to get symptoms of anything I have, so when he told me the turtle was tilting I thought he was over scrutinizing. Earlier in the day I hadn\'t seen it. He does it whenever diving or coming up. It looks like the right side is heavy for him, weighted. I upped the temp last night to 86. He is still doing it this AM, but I realize if it is a problem it will take a bit to go away. How long should I wait with NO other symptoms to take him to the vet? I took him out while heating the water last night and he looks clear of mucus and doesn\'t open his mouth when he is out. I wouldn\'t be so concerned if he had always acted this way, but he just started. He does swim all over and eats well. But appears to struggle a little with swimming because of the leaning. I get worried he will get worse and not be able to swim up for air.
preciousbabihien
Level 2
Level 2

Hello, My turtle use to do that too but he somehow just stopped. I would wait for about a week or so. I wouldn\'t worry about it much. If he looks like he is having trouble reaching for air than I suggest you see the vet. The reason he\'s by the heater is because he/she likes the warm water and there is no problem with that. Best of Luck-Helen
critterlover63
Level 2
Level 2

I just wrote in too about my little RES leaning to the Right...Just noticed it last night! He is the smallest of my 3 being only about 1.5 inches long but he is very healthy with a hard shell and an appetite that never quits!! He seems to be doing a bit better today and it is not as noticable. Although he appears to have one arm a little larger than the other he seems to do quite well for himself so I am not going to worry too much quite yet. How big is your \"baby\" that is leaning? Maybe it is just a thing with little baby turtles that small... just trying to get their balance like toddlers!! Hope all is well for yours; I just bet he will be okay. Good Luck! J.A.
sbturtlegrlz6
Level 4
Level 4

one arm bigger than the other -weird but still cool and probly adds to the charcter of the turtle.
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

I`d wait a few days as long as you don`t see any other symptoms. Maybe with a little time the added warmth will take care of it if it`s an RI. You could take some of the water out temporarily to make it easier for him. If you`d feel better about having him seen by a vet sooner, though, I would do it. Peace of mind is important.
shelngav
Level 3
Level 3

Well, I called the vet this AM they said to bring him in, the sooner the better before it worsens. He vet looked at him and feels he is fine. He didnt notice labored breathing. We put him in some water, but it didnt show the extent of his leaning because it was in a little critter keeper. He thought it might be a gas bubble. I wasnt real impressed with him, just a gut feeling. I hope he is right. He said if it isnt better in 2 weeks or has other symptoms in the meantime,call back. He did say that his shell is doing well. The whitish looking spots is beginning of shedding. He encouraged me to continue calcium powder every day until he is about 4 inches in size.
I will be keeping a close eye on him.
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

I`ve read about tilting being caused by gas once, so apparently it`s a possibility. I would just keep an eye on him. Good luck.
preciousbabihien
Level 2
Level 2

I don\'t understand it though, everybody that had their baby turtle lean to the right took their turtle to the vet and they did absolutely Nothing.....I think it is just normal
shelngav
Level 3
Level 3

I just wanted to report that Herman is now back to normal. I don\'t know if it helped increasing the water temp or what, but he is not leaning anymore. I am reducing the temp a bit again as it has really caused the algae to take off. So I guess the moral to the story is if there are no other symptoms just wait it out a week.
  • Information