taking res out of water

Discussions about turtles.
rocco

i just got 2 res about 1 month ago and i am trying to learn as much as i can. i like to take them out of the water sometimes and i have read that this is ok on some turtle sites. will they become more comfortable and less scared the more i do this?
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

They will eventually become more used to you, but don`t overdo it. More is not necessarily better. Too much handling will stress them out. Turtles are not like dogs or cats.
preciousbabihien
Level 2
Level 2

Well the only way is to hold them at least once a week or once in two weeks. They should be able to get use to going out of their enviorment. If you do take them out all the time they will become stressful. Remember not to just leave your turtle laying around in his or her tank because they will not be use to you and will become more agressive when they get older.
sbturtlegrlz6
Level 4
Level 4

i only take my turtle out of the water when im cleaning their tanks and maybe if im show somebody them once in awile they get used to your hand by when you feed them and on occasion when you handle them it is also not good bcuz they are cold bloode which means when you take them out of the water their body temp. will fluxuate which is also not good. hope it helps.
  • Information