\"withered arm\" on my turtle?

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
critterlover63
Level 2
Level 2

I just noticed tonight the smallest of my 3 baby RES (he is about 1.5 inches) floats a bit crooked in the water favoring his Right side... I watched him closely and noticed his little left arm is a bit smaller than the right... It looks almost as if he could have been born that way as some humans are...He eats like a little pig and shows promising signs of growth. You can see the new growth under his shedding scutes... Other than the unbalanced floatation and his smaller arm he looks to be in excellent health. I faithfully feed them calcium via cuttlebone, provide Repti-sun UVB lighting even placing them outside every few days while our weather is still warm here in Louisiana. I feed them Reptomin pellets in addition to fresh veggies a few times a week including carrots, green-leaf lettuce and occasionally tomatoes. Their treat is mealworms about 2 times a week. Does anyone know if my little turtle has a chance or is this an underlying problem that will be fatal? Thanks!
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

As long as he`s active and healthy, I wouldn`t worry (if you are, though, you could always have him evaluated by a qualified vet). He`s really small and possibly growth could even out over time. If not, turtles with far worse disabilities than yours have done quite nicely.
sbturtlegrlz6
Level 4
Level 4

wow sounds like he\'s fine.as long you dont notice him struggling or not growing he sounds fine.
  • Information