turtle has eaten rocks...help

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
boomerang
Level 1
Level 1

I just saw my turtle poop out two rocks. I have taken the rocks out of the tank, but now how do I get him to use the bathroom more so he can get them all out of his stomach?

Thanks
preciousbabihien
Level 2
Level 2

Do you have a local vet? Sometimes if turtles swallow gravel or rocks they need surgery because some might be stuck.
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

As long as he can poop them out (which can take a little time if he`s eaten a number of them) he should be OK. If you want to use pebbles/rocks, use smoother river rocks a little larger than his head so he can`t eat them.

It`s thought that a turtle eats rocks because he is looking for calcium. Buy some cuttlebone (for birds), take off the hard backing, break it into small pieces and let several float in the tank. Your turtle can munch on them instead of eating rocks, and he will be getting calcium in his diet.
boomerang
Level 1
Level 1

Is there any kind of laxitive I can give him?
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

As long as he`s healthy and pooping them out on his own, I`d just let nature take it`s course.
sbturtlegrlz6
Level 4
Level 4

i recently got river rocks for my babies but my bigger two have gravel temporarily this will change in two days.I\'m sure they havent eaten them but is their any symptoms of them having gravel stuck im their throat
  • Information