describing the new found little one

Not sure what kind of turtle you have? Come in and ask the turtle community.
heathertogetherforever
Level 1
Level 1

His shell is just a tad larger than a quarter. His shell is brownish/gray in color. Tail and head are the same color as his shell. Legs are black. Eyes are not open. Belly is black with a few whitish spots up near his neck. We live in northern Maine so we are not anywhere near the ocean. I hope the description isn\'t too vague!

Thank you
Heather
preciousbabihien
Level 2
Level 2

Are you shure his natural shell color is black or brown? Sometimes it can be dirt or whatever that dried up and is stuck. If that is the ocassion take a soft cloth of towel and soak it with warm water. Scrub his shell gently. If nothing come off then it might really be his natural shell color =/ Otherwise I have no idea what he or she is. Best of Luck-Helen
heathertogetherforever
Level 1
Level 1

He\'s definitely a grayish/brown color. He has 5 sharp little claws and nice distinguishable scales on his legs. No webbing that I can see at all. He\'s really coming alive and starting to move his legs. Temperatures around here will be down near the freezing mark at night. Maybe we should have left him in the driveway for maybe he was trying to hibernate. Probably all of you turtle lovers are rolling on the floor laughing at my descriptions for I don\'t have a clue what I\'m suppose to be doing! lol
I forgot to describe that his shell has awesome, scaley type bumps on it. He\'s really climbing around in my Tupperware container now.

Any info to share?
Thanks, Heather
heathertogetherforever
Level 1
Level 1

I think we\'ve identified the little guy that we have on our counter. We logged on to our local herpetological society site and through pictures he\'s a spitting image of the snapping turtle. We\'ve contacted the site and are waiting for a reply.

Kind of neat!
Heather
preciousbabihien
Level 2
Level 2

hehe that\'s good to know
dks28

Last edited by dks28 on Tue Sep 30, 2003 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
heathertogetherforever
Level 1
Level 1

Yup, dks28, that\'s definitely him! Cute little thing! Found some great information on the web and through our local pet store. The little guy is growing on me already! =) We\'ll see if he makes is back into the wild. We\'re going to make this a family decision some time tomorrow evening.
sbturtlegrlz6
Level 4
Level 4

wow those pictures were cute! but i read that snappers arnet that small are my sources wrong?they could be just let me kno
  • Information