desperate for help!

Discussions about turtles.
heathertogetherforever
Level 1
Level 1

I\'ve quickly logged onto this site for I am desperate for help. I live in Maine and the temperature is now 60 degrees. My son just found a turtle a little bit bigger than a quarter. It was in our driveway and for the last hour we thought it was dead. Well lo and behold the turtle warmed up and now is barely moving. I have it on a warm heating pad set on low. He has stretched out his neck and tail. His eyes are not open. Please anyone out there point me in the right direction as to what I\'m suppose to do!

Any help would be appreciated!
heather
preciousbabihien
Level 2
Level 2

Do you know what the water tempeture is? It should be between 75-80 for such a small turtle like yours. Turn up the heater pad for it to reach to that tempeture. I hope the little guy is alright. Best of luck -Helen
heathertogetherforever
Level 1
Level 1

I just have him on a heating pad. Should he be in water? You\'ll never find any natural body of water around here above 65-70 degrees even during our summer months.lol His eyes are now open! Thank you so much for replying. We have a small tank that maybe I\'ll put him in until I can get into town tomorrow to buy a tank. I read somewhere here on this site to put the tank on the heating pad. We have crickets available for we have a couple of tree frogs. Hmmmm.....is this a good idea for the crickets are almost as big as he is?

Thank you, Heather
preciousbabihien
Level 2
Level 2

Heheh that\'s nice to hear. Do you have any chlorine remover because I heard you have plecos. You have chlorine remover right? Well if it is a red ear slider than he should be in water more than on land. You DON\'T want to do anything if he isn\'t that type of turtle. Just put him in a container or something and fill it up to his shell height, no higher. You should feed him crickets. He should be able to bite it but if it seems that he is having trouble just take it out. Best of Luck - Helen
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

Make sure you know what kind of turtle you have so you can give it proper care. (If it`s a box turtle, don`t put it in water, for example.) What does it look like?
heathertogetherforever
Level 1
Level 1

preciousbabihien wrote:
Heheh that\'s nice to hear. Do you have any chlorine remover because I heard you have plecos. You have chlorine remover right? Well if it is a red ear slider than he should be in water more than on land. You DON\'T want to do anything if he isn\'t that type of turtle. Just put him in a container or something and fill it up to his shell height, no higher. You should feed him crickets. He should be able to bite it but if it seems that he is having trouble just take it out. Best of Luck - Helen
I probably should explain that we have a big heated fish tank, a smaller tank for the frogs and a Tupperware container for the new turtle, which by the way, is a snapping turtle! I\'m waiting to hear back from some \"local experts\" on this matter. Whew, I\'m sooo glad someone can steer me in the right direction. No chlorine remover needed here for we live in the sticks! Thank you all that responded.
Heather
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

You`re sure he`s a snapper? Cute little suckers...OK, time to start reading about them :) For starters, try http://www.chelonia.org/Articles/chelydracare.htm
also http://www.chelydra.org

There`s a lot of info if you look. Good luck.
preciousbabihien
Level 2
Level 2

http://www.chelydra.org/train_baby02.jpg Does your turtle look like this? I remembered you were talking about her or his bumpy back. If you need any information at all here goes the site http://www.chelydra.org/train.html Best of Luck - Helen
heathertogetherforever
Level 1
Level 1

Oh thank you both for the wonderful website. I have looked this site over a few times today just to gain more information. I have a feeling he will be our pet for awhile. He\'s definitely a snapper! We took him to the pet store today and we found lots of encouragement on raising him. =)
preciousbabihien
Level 2
Level 2

oh that\'s sooo awesome!
  • Information