Over feeding???

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
alishagail
Level 1
Level 1

I know I\'ve read this about a dozen times, but I was hoping someone could be more specific. How much should I be feeding my one year old RES? I think his head is about the size of three pellets, but I\'m not good at measuring. I\'ve been feeding my turtle 5 pellets a day, and he still acts like he\'s starving. I try feeding him broccoli, carrots, and lettuce as well, but he mostly ignores this food. So, I guess what I\'m asking is am I overfeeding, and if so, what else can I give him so I don\'t feel like I\'m starving him?

Thanks for the help,
Alisha and Rocky
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

At your turtle`s age, he should be eating his pellets every other day. Portion size is an amount that would fit inside his head, not including his neck. The number of pellets will depend on their size. Variety is best, and plant matter becomes increasingly important as they age (after a year).

Some turtles eat plant matter quite early (mine did), some take longer. Aquatic plants (anachris, elodea, duckweed, water hyacinth, water lettuce, hogwart, etc.) provide vitamin A and other nutrients important for your turtle`s health. Green leaf veggies (stay away from iceberg lettuce, spinach, broccoli and cabbage) and others such as carrots, squash, bell peppers, etc. are as well. They can be made freely available. If your turtle won`t eat them, don`t give in to him. Some turtle keepers will offer a turtle nothing but a variety of veggies until the turtle eats. If a turtle is healthy and refuses them, it won`t hurt him to go without. If he is hungry enough he will eat. A good link for feeding ideas is http://www.turtlepuddle.org/health/turtlefood.html

High protein food (boiled chicken, shrimp, etc.) should be an occasional treat. Pieces of cuttlebone (take off the hard backing first) are good to have floating in the tank as a calcium supplement.
mshbk
Level 1
Level 1

I know for a fact my turtles were being overfed before I got them, 3 times a day in fact,(He took bad advice!) I\'m cutting it down gradually, and I\'m down to once a day right now (I thought it would be too much to go down to every other day straight off.)That\'s why I\'m glad I found this forum! Unfortunatly being in the uk turtle keeping isn\'t as widespread as in the U.S. so getting good advice is difficult. I\'ve picked up a lot, and am doing my best to look after them well.
alishagail
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks for the advice so far. Concerning the vegetables, how do I feed these to him. I usually take him out to feed him his pellets. Do I just leave the veggies floating in his actual tank. That\'s what I\'ve done in the past, but he wasn\'t eating them at all and it made a mess of the tank. Thanks again,

Alisha and Rocky
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

Aquarium plants could just be left in the water. (That`s where they grow.) For veggies, I put them in my turtle`s tank (pellets are fed in a separate container). If they aren`t eaten in a reasonable time, I net them out. He started eating them when he was really young, though, so his not eating them is not a problem. He eats everything.

You could put them in the feeding container, but I prefer the tank so my turtle can munch on them when he wants to. It sounds like your turtle will take some time to want to eat them, and putting them in the feeding container wouldn`t give him that much time to eat them. I also would not put a lot in at one time if I were you--if he doesn`t eat them, there`s less of them to mess up the tank. And cut them up so he can easily eat them (my turtle likes his carrots very thinly sliced so he can rip them up as he eats, for example).
  • Information